Author Topic: What is PBR and what is it for?  (Read 4540 times)

Hello everyone,

in the recent weeks working with the software packages from Allegorithmic, I also had to read a lot about PBR and its features.
At the moment I study Game Art and I still have to learn a lot ;)

What's the idea behind this thread? What do I want to achieve?

I want to create a thread with a lots of knowledge about PBR in it. That's it.
Newbies should have a forum to go with for learning the great products by Allegorithmic. And what are those software packages are for?
Right, they are made for a PBR workflow.

I think you understand what the point is. ;)

I accidentally found a nice PDF about PBR from Allegorithmic. 'The comprehensive PBR Guide, Vol. 1' can be found in the Learn-section of Allegorithmic's website. I have no idea how long it has been there and if there will ever be a vol. 2 as it is promised. (??)
Then I discovered this Forum section with no topics in it...

What do you think? Nice idea or should I better leave it as it is?
I never did a thread like this and if you think this is a good idea, would you help building a nice fundamental for everyone?

Best regards

EDIT: Nice timing, Wes! You just created a thread about the Vol. 1 I mentioned earlier. ;) wow, quite funny!
Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 10:24:32 pm
Environment Artist - Twitter

Hello everyone,

in the recent weeks working with the software packages from Allegorithmic, I also had to read a lot about PBR and its features.
At the moment I study Game Art and I still have to learn a lot ;)

What's the idea behind this thread? What do I want to achieve?

I want to create a thread with a lots of knowledge about PBR in it. That's it.
Newbies should have a forum to go with for learning the great products by Allegorithmic. And what are those software packages are for?
Right, they are made for a PBR workflow.

I think you understand what the point is. ;)

I accidentally found a nice PDF about PBR from Allegorithmic. 'The comprehensive PBR Guide, Vol. 1' can be found in the Learn-section of Allegorithmic's website. I have no idea how long it has been there and if there will ever be a vol. 2 as it is promised. (??)
Then I discovered this Forum section with no topics in it...

What do you think? Nice idea or should I better leave it as it is?
I never did a thread like this and if you think this is a good idea, would you help building a nice fundamental for everyone?

Best regards

EDIT: Nice timing, Wes! You just created a thread about the Vol. 1 I mentioned earlier. ;) wow, quite funny!

Hi Fabian,

We just rolled out the Comprehensive Guide volume one today. Volume two is in production now and will be ready by the end of this month.

We set up the new forum board for PBR to do exactly what you are looking for. Our goal is to:

Create a community where we can come together and discuss PBR theory, techniques and workflows. These boards are the place for sharing knowledge and learning.

I just posted a thread cover "what is PBR." You can find it here.

http://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,3668.0.html

Cheers,

wes

Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks for the reply, Wes! You're the man we can count on  ;)

I was a bit too fast with posting, I think. But it's great to see that my idea is already built up in your heads and being pushed further.
Environment Artist - Twitter