Author Topic: URP texture workflow, channel packed textures  (Read 1327 times)

I am having trouble understanding the correct integration of textures outputted from Substance Painter for Unity.
If I'm not mistaken Unity's URP workflow requires Metallic Occlusion Smoothness to be channel packed as follows:
Red = Metallic
Green = Occlusion
Blue = None
Alpha = Smoothness

Substance Painter offers a template Unity URP Pipeline (Metallic Standard) which I presume to be the correct preset to use but it doesn't seem to implement Occlusion or smoothness.

Is there a step I am missing?
Any help would be appreciated.

I am having trouble understanding the correct integration of textures outputted from Substance Painter for Unity.
If I'm not mistaken Unity's URP workflow requires Metallic Occlusion Smoothness to be channel packed as follows:
Red = Metallic
Green = Occlusion
Blue = None
Alpha = Smoothness

Substance Painter offers a template Unity URP Pipeline (Metallic Standard) which I presume to be the correct preset to use but it doesn't seem to implement Occlusion or smoothness.

Is there a step I am missing?
Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

The Painter HD Renderpipeline template does include Occlusion. The Green channel is using the Mixed AO which is a combination of Baked AO as well as any AO data created in the AO channel of the layer stack.

The Smoothness (invert of roughness in Painter) is the Alpha channel.

Please see the attached image. It shows the packed maps. The .$ will omit UDIM if you are using a non-UDIM project.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks for the reply.

I'm aware the HDRP template includes occlusion. What I'm asking is if the template correctly correlates to the setup necessary for Unity URP.
Right now the template has a MetallicSmoothness texture output but Unity URP asks for a texture with a specific channel mapping (red = metallic, green = occlusion, blue = none, alpha = smoothness).

I guess I could create a custom template, but I don't understand why the presets for URP are set up in this way.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm aware the HDRP template includes occlusion. What I'm asking is if the template correctly correlates to the setup necessary for Unity URP.
Right now the template has a MetallicSmoothness texture output but Unity URP asks for a texture with a specific channel mapping (red = metallic, green = occlusion, blue = none, alpha = smoothness).

I guess I could create a custom template, but I don't understand why the presets for URP are set up in this way.

Hi,

I am sorry, I was thinking you were referring to HDRP. I misread your first post where you mentioned URP : ) Our export template doesn't pack the AO channel as you mentioned. The URP shaders do not pack the AO. They use the Metal and Smoothness in the Alpha channel. Our URP template in Painter is packing an RGBA map with Metal and Glossiness in the Alpha. We convert roughness to glossiness. The glossiness map is the same as the Unity Smoothness. It's just the invert of roughness. We also pack the opacity in the A of the base color (albedo).

The URP shaders have a separate input for AO maps. The AO is not packed.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja