Author Topic: Substance Designer automatically shut down when creating or opening a project  (Read 629 times)

Hi there,

We are not able to use Substance Designer because when we create a project or try to open an existing project, the application shut down always.

We tried to uninstall it and reinstall it, but nothing changes.

Log file is provided.

Best regards,

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

A crash when a new project is created or loaded is likely connected to either a failure in the Substance Engine or in the initialisation of the 3D View.

First, please take the following steps on Windows to check the 3D View option:
  • Close Substance Designer;
  • Press the 'Windows + R' keys;
  • Type 'regedit' and press 'Enter';
  • Select 'Yes' on the system prompt that appears to open the Windows Registry Editor;
  • In the address bar at the top of the window, paste the following address:
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Allegorithmic\Substance Designer
  • In the left panel folder hierarchy, select the 'Substance Designer' folder and delete it;
  • Open Substance Designer, but do not create or open any project;
  • In the top bar, select the 'Windows' > 'New 3D View' menu item;
  • Check that the 3D View is correctly initialised, and try different preview meshes in the 'Scene' menu of the panel top bar;
  • Create or open a material.

If following these steps did not solve the issue, then the crashes may have been caused by back-to-back launches of versions 2019 and 2018 of Substance Designer, alternatively.

For your information, Substance Designer 2019 uses the Substance Engine v7, which is not compatible with previous versions.

Please note that while switching from version 2018 to version 2019 automatically switches engines from v6 to v7, the opposite is not true. This means that starting version 2018 after having used version 2019 can trigger a crash if the v6 engine is not manually selected.

Therefore, we recommend making sure Substance Designer 2018 uses the v6 version of the Substance Engine before creating or opening a project.

To switch engines, go to the Tools > Switch engine... menu in the main top bar, or press the F9 key. The v6 engine has a version number starting with '6' (e.g. 6.3.0).

Feel free to let us know the results of following any of these two solution's steps. I appreciate your patience!

Best regards,
Luca
QA Analyst
Substance Designer Team

Hi, I am having the same exact issue, so thank you for outlining the solution.

I believe the original poster is wondering the same thing as me. Do we really have to do this every time we open the program? I have been experiencing crashes on Substance Painter as well; which is fixed with the same registry folder deletion method. It is getting frustrating to deal with these issues. I am currently on the trial version and I'm worried about more crashes in the future.

Hello @kolson36,

Thank you for reaching out to us, and for your patience!

These steps should be a one-time operation, and are not required to be performed before each launch of Substance software.
If the issue reappears – for instance after a change in the display configuration – feel free to let us know!

Best regards,
Luca
QA Analyst
Substance Designer Team