Author Topic: Curvature Baking Concerns  (Read 1238 times)

I've been having some issues baking my curvature map inside of Substance Painter. Here is an image of the problem(s):

I've been trying to deal with #1 and #3 for a while now by not using 100% of the curvature in masks, but #2 is something I just recently ran into. Any ideas what might be causing these problems?

It seems like the curvature baker is having trouble combining the low poly with the normal map (or high poly). Is that what's happening? Is there any way to fix any of these problems, other than switching to vertex bake?

NOTE: I'm thinking all of these issues may have something to do with how the normal map is relative to the low poly normals. I wonder if there is some adjustment I can make to the low poly normals to help alleviate this?

Thanks for any advice!
Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 04:01:58 pm

First, I would advise to lower the "Details" setting in your curvature options, it is way too strong on your screenshot, saturating in white angles that are not that strong, and displaying many more artefacts that would be almost invisible with a lower intensity.
The higher brightness on small cylinders is normal though, as the curvature of the surface increases as the radius of a cylinder decreases.

Thanks. I did eventually lower the details slider. I had to set it all the way down to 0.07 to avoid most of the artifacts.

Another solution I found was to add some extra polygons to support extreme bends and long cylinder polygons. For example, if there is a long cylinder, adding a "control loop" at the top and bottom of it will significantly reduce curvature map problems. It is obviously not the most efficient solution, but what is a few polygons compared to the billions of pixels we are juggling these days.

Thanks. I did eventually lower the details slider. I had to set it all the way down to 0.07 to avoid most of the artifacts.

Another solution I found was to add some extra polygons to support extreme bends and long cylinder polygons. For example, if there is a long cylinder, adding a "control loop" at the top and bottom of it will significantly reduce curvature map problems. It is obviously not the most efficient solution, but what is a few polygons compared to the billions of pixels we are juggling these days.

How did you managed it? I can't set the value higher then 0.01
:-(