Author Topic: Baking issues  (Read 316 times)

Hello there,
I am having some baking problems. After baking I noticed some weird artifacts. The low poly and high poly meshes are completely at the same position. The only thing I've done for the high poly is added some boolean impacts, some surface details and that's it. So, I'm not sure what could be a cause of this.

This is the way the meshes overlap each other.

Also, another thing I noticed is the baked holes are angled. Can I bake it look centered instead?

These are the baking settings that I've used:
  • 4k output size
  • 0.05 Max Frontal Distance and Max Rear Distance
  • True Relative to Bounding Box, Average Normal, Ignore Backface
  • None Anti-Aliasing
  • Always Match
  • 128 Rays
  • Cosine Distribution
  • Linear Attenuation
  • The rest of the settings are default values
Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 06:23:20 pm

You'll want to make sure you're dealing with a mesh fully converted to tris prior to Painter, even more so because of your n-gons when using booleans if you haven't done so already.

Make sure you're baking by mesh name as well if you're not dealing with a contiguous mesh.

https://docs.substance3d.com/bake/matching-by-name-182256530.html

You'll want to make sure you're dealing with a mesh fully converted to tris prior to Painter, even more so because of your n-gons when using booleans if you haven't done so already.

Make sure you're baking by mesh name as well if you're not dealing with a contiguous mesh.

https://docs.substance3d.com/bake/matching-by-name-182256530.html
Thank you for the reply!
I have converted the high poly to only triangles and have checked to use by name. This didn't really solved the problem, although after I created a new project and did everything again, it produced quite alright result. I believe these glitches appeared because I re-baked all maps multiple times in the same project. For some reason that causes issues. Maybe it's something I don't understand, but I think it's a protentional bug. Maybe.
What about the angled result? Is there a way to make it bake directly front view with no angle?

What about the angled result? Is there a way to make it bake directly front view with no angle?

Not in Painter unfortunately. You need to bake the normal map in Designer or in Marmoset Toolbag and use the 'skew correction' feature.