Author Topic: change color in one place without changing it everywhere else  (Read 499 times)

Hello, I have a puzzle in my head

Namely, I am using the SD program to change the colors in the project. All cars are in the garage. The moment he wants to change the color of a car, the global material for all cars changes. I have no idea how to stop the material so that it only changes for one car. The only thing that comes to mind is creating instances for each material separately. With normal Unity material it is easy, because every time you assign a new material (writing the usual '=') Unity itself creates a new instance of the material and adds it to the meshrenderer. From what I figured out, it's not so obvious here. The material is very heavy, so I'd rather avoid creating multiple instances, e.g. one for each car, so that everyone has a different one.
That would "fix" the problem, but it's too hard for Unity to afford.

Hello, I have a puzzle in my head

Namely, I am using the SD program to change the colors in the project. All cars are in the garage. The moment he wants to change the color of a car, the global material for all cars changes. I have no idea how to stop the material so that it only changes for one car. The only thing that comes to mind is creating instances for each material separately. With normal Unity material it is easy, because every time you assign a new material (writing the usual '=') Unity itself creates a new instance of the material and adds it to the meshrenderer. From what I figured out, it's not so obvious here. The material is very heavy, so I'd rather avoid creating multiple instances, e.g. one for each car, so that everyone has a different one.
That would "fix" the problem, but it's too hard for Unity to afford.

Hi @Extripi

You can make copies of Substance materials  and name them whatever you want and and use them in your scene. Just click on + sign in Inspector.