Substance plugin activating crashing UE4.25.4 and 4.26

Author Topic: Substance plugin activating crashing UE4.25.4 and 4.26  (Read 219 times)

I have had a large project with hundrets of assets and many Substances on them on 4.25.3.
Then i updated to 4.25.4 yesterday and could not load existing maps, nor start new template maps.
I deinstalled the Substance plugin and reinstalled it, same problem.
Then I updated the project to 4.26: same problem: crashes when 4.26. Substance plugin is enabled, normal if plugin is disabled.
Here the crash report:

Fatal error: [File:D:/Build/++UE4/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/CoreUObject/Private/UObject/LinkerLoad.cpp] [Line: 4148] SubstanceTexture2D /Game/Substance/gametextures/Seaside_Gravel_INST_metallic.Seaside_Gravel_INST_metallic: Serial size mismatch: Got 208, Expected 204

UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_SubstanceCore!USubstanceGraphInstance::GraphRequiresUpdate() [D:\Build\++Portal+Promotion\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\Substance\Source\SubstanceCore\Private\SubstanceGraphInstance.cpp:226]
UE4Editor_SubstanceCore!Substance::Helpers::SubstancesRequireUpdate() [D:\Build\++Portal+Promotion\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\Substance\Source\SubstanceCore\Private\SubstanceCoreHelpers.cpp:3397]
UE4Editor_SubstanceEditor!FSubstanceEditorModule::RebuildAlert() [D:\Build\++Portal+Promotion\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\Substance\Source\SubstanceEditor\Private\SubstanceEditorModule.cpp:122]
UE4Editor_SubstanceEditor!TBaseStaticDelegateInstance<void __cdecl(FString const &,bool),FDefaultDelegateUserPolicy>::ExecuteIfSafe() [D:\RocketSync\4.26.0-14830424+++UE4+Release-4.26\Working\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Delegates\DelegateInstancesImpl.h:731]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor_LevelEditor
UE4Editor_LevelEditor
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_ApplicationCore
user32
user32
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
kernel32
ntdll
Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 12:40:01 am

I have had a large project with hundrets of assets and many Substances on them on 4.24.3.
Then i updated to 4.24.4 yesterday and could not load existing maps, nor start new template maps.
I deinstalled the Substance plugin and reinstalled it, same problem.
Then I updated the project to 4.26: same problem: crashes when 4.26. Substance plugin is enabled, normal if plugin is disabled.
Here the crash report:

Fatal error: [File:D:/Build/++UE4/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/CoreUObject/Private/UObject/LinkerLoad.cpp] [Line: 4148] SubstanceTexture2D /Game/Substance/gametextures/Seaside_Gravel_INST_metallic.Seaside_Gravel_INST_metallic: Serial size mismatch: Got 208, Expected 204

UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_CoreUObject
UE4Editor_SubstanceCore!USubstanceGraphInstance::GraphRequiresUpdate() [D:\Build\++Portal+Promotion\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\Substance\Source\SubstanceCore\Private\SubstanceGraphInstance.cpp:226]
UE4Editor_SubstanceCore!Substance::Helpers::SubstancesRequireUpdate() [D:\Build\++Portal+Promotion\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\Substance\Source\SubstanceCore\Private\SubstanceCoreHelpers.cpp:3397]
UE4Editor_SubstanceEditor!FSubstanceEditorModule::RebuildAlert() [D:\Build\++Portal+Promotion\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\Substance\Source\SubstanceEditor\Private\SubstanceEditorModule.cpp:122]
UE4Editor_SubstanceEditor!TBaseStaticDelegateInstance<void __cdecl(FString const &,bool),FDefaultDelegateUserPolicy>::ExecuteIfSafe() [D:\RocketSync\4.26.0-14830424+++UE4+Release-4.26\Working\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Delegates\DelegateInstancesImpl.h:731]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd
UE4Editor_LevelEditor
UE4Editor_LevelEditor
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
user32
user32
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
kernel32
ntdll

Hey @reini99 ,

A couple of questions about your project:

1) Did you create this project in 4.24.3 or in a version prior and update it?
2) Does the crash occur on startup or when you click on a Substance graph?

I started the project in 4.20 and updated it. everything works, except several problems with the substance plugin over time.
fix to my original post: the problem arised when i updated from UE 4.25.3 to 4.25.4.   not 4.24 as i originally wrote.

The crash occurs when i try to load any map or start a new template map with the plugin enabled in 4.25.4 or 4.26 in my project with hundrets of different substances.

If I have the substance plugin enabled but not loaded any map, then I can click on the substances, but they are that white preview with dummy textures (e.g. white or yellow textures for normal, roughnes...instead of the correct ones). UE does not offer me to rebuild the substance graphes or anything to fix it.

What can i do? Why are there no options to even manually fix this?

If I start a new project in 4.26 with no substances in the /content subfolders, then the crash does not happen. But this does not help me to save my project with over a year's work gone into it. Please help, as i cant change to any previous UE version either because of other restrictions UE has.
Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 01:22:17 am

I started the project in 4.20 and updated it. everything works, except several problems with the substance plugin over time.
fix to my original post: the problem arised when i updated from UE 4.25.3 to 4.25.4.   not 4.24 as i originally wrote.

The crash occurs when i try to load any map or start a new template map with the plugin enabled in 4.25.4 or 4.26 in my project with hundrets of different substances.

If I have the substance plugin enabled but not loaded any map, then I can click on the substances, but they are that white preview with dummy textures (e.g. white or yellow textures for normal, roughnes...instead of the correct ones). UE does not offer me to rebuild the substance graphes or anything to fix it.

What can i do? Why are there no options to even manually fix this?

If I start a new project in 4.26 with no substances in the /content subfolders, then the crash does not happen. But this does not help me to save my project with over a year's work gone into it. Please help, as i cant change to any previous UE version either because of the other restrictions.

@reini99 ,

We have had a couple of reports about this issue (the serial size mismatch crash). From what I understand, it can occur when texture data could have become possibly corrupted over the update process from pre-UE4 4.23 projects to UE4 4.24+. The Substance plugin was refactored in 4.24 which changed the format that the Substance generated textures were created in. Prior to 4.23, Substance generated textures were USubstanceTexture2Ds. In 4.24+ the textures are generated as the Unreal standard of UTexture2Ds. If a user tries to update UE4 from 4.23 or prior to 4.24+, then the plugin will attempt to regenerate the textures to the new format and reapply all of the materials. A crash can occur during this process when attempting to update the textures where the user can run out of video memory. If this occurs, then there is still data in the project that has been updated and some data that has not been updated. (along with some possible corrupted data if it crashed during the regeneration of Substance textures)

Did you receive a crash during the update process at any point? If so, corrupted data might be the culprit. Unfortunately the reports we received about this issue have occurred with large projects so they are difficult to share, but if you are able to provide a project so we can reproduce the issue (ideally the project before an update past 4.24 was done) then that would be extremely helpful.

In terms of manually fixing the issue, if the data is corrupted then there is no retrieving that data. However, all of the data might not be corrupted. I would suggest finding which Substance textures/files are causing the crash then deleting them and importing them manually to ensure that the new Substance generated textures are created correctly. If the Substance textures are showing up as white or checkerboard, then they may be corrupted.

Hope that answers your question, let me know if I can help further in any way.
Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 02:00:50 am

All the substances worked fine in 4.25.3,
I did not have any crash when previously rebuilding graphs. I have a nVidiaRTX2080Ti with 11 GB VRAM.

Manually checking each substance with the need to find and reimport them is not an option given that I may face other similar troubles by each UE upgrade.
So if there is no solution from substance, then my only save solution is to delete all substances from my project and never ever use them again.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm having a similar issue. It is a new project in 4.26 with only basic materials applied on static meshes I have created, and it causes a crash consistently. I have older projects I updated to 4.26 where Unreal does not crash when sending the mesh to Substance, but these were pre-existing Static Meshes created by someone else, and purchased from Unreal's website.

Given this, I don't think the problem can be tied specifically to updating from an older project.

LoginId:53ba04634aecb3f4ccc7cfa600f997f1
EpicAccountId:d794da7c8ef34db8a26b0361be2ca696

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000018

UE4Editor_SubstanceLiveLink!FSubstanceLiveLinkConnection::GetMeshMaterials() [D:\Build\++Portal+Promotion\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\Substance\Source\SubstanceLiveLink\Private\SubstanceLiveLinkConnection.cpp:375]
UE4Editor_SubstanceLiveLink!FSubstanceLiveLinkConnection::GeneratePainterProjectJson() [D:\Build\++Portal+Promotion\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\Substance\Source\SubstanceLiveLink\Private\SubstanceLiveLinkConnection.cpp:260]
UE4Editor_SubstanceLiveLink!FSubstanceLiveLinkConnection::SendPainterProject() [D:\Build\++Portal+Promotion\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\Substance\Source\SubstanceLiveLink\Private\SubstanceLiveLinkConnection.cpp:635]
UE4Editor_SubstanceLiveLink!FSubstanceLiveLinkConnection::SendAssetToSubstancePainter() [D:\Build\++Portal+Promotion\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\Substance\Source\SubstanceLiveLink\Private\SubstanceLiveLinkConnection.cpp:89]
UE4Editor_SubstanceLiveLink!<lambda_4884dc02633e35ab157dc0087852c21b>::operator()() [D:\Build\++Portal+Promotion\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\Substance\Source\SubstanceLiveLink\Private\SubstanceLiveLinkModule.cpp:139]
UE4Editor_SubstanceLiveLink!TBaseFunctorDelegateInstance<void __cdecl(void),FDefaultDelegateUserPolicy,<lambda_4884dc02633e35ab157dc0087852c21b> >::ExecuteIfSafe() [D:\RocketSync\4.26.0-14830424+++UE4+Release-4.26\Working\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Delegates\DelegateInstancesImpl.h:838]
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
user32
user32
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
kernel32
ntdll

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm having a similar issue. It is a new project in 4.26 with only basic materials applied on static meshes I have created, and it causes a crash consistently. I have older projects I updated to 4.26 where Unreal does not crash when sending the mesh to Substance, but these were pre-existing Static Meshes created by someone else, and purchased from Unreal's website.

Given this, I don't think the problem can be tied specifically to updating from an older project.

LoginId:53ba04634aecb3f4ccc7cfa600f997f1
EpicAccountId:d794da7c8ef34db8a26b0361be2ca696

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000018

UE4Editor_SubstanceLiveLink!FSubstanceLiveLinkConnection::GetMeshMaterials() [D:\Build\++Portal+Promotion\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\Substance\Source\SubstanceLiveLink\Private\SubstanceLiveLinkConnection.cpp:375]
UE4Editor_SubstanceLiveLink!FSubstanceLiveLinkConnection::GeneratePainterProjectJson() [D:\Build\++Portal+Promotion\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\Substance\Source\SubstanceLiveLink\Private\SubstanceLiveLinkConnection.cpp:260]
UE4Editor_SubstanceLiveLink!FSubstanceLiveLinkConnection::SendPainterProject() [D:\Build\++Portal+Promotion\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\Substance\Source\SubstanceLiveLink\Private\SubstanceLiveLinkConnection.cpp:635]
UE4Editor_SubstanceLiveLink!FSubstanceLiveLinkConnection::SendAssetToSubstancePainter() [D:\Build\++Portal+Promotion\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\Substance\Source\SubstanceLiveLink\Private\SubstanceLiveLinkConnection.cpp:89]
UE4Editor_SubstanceLiveLink!<lambda_4884dc02633e35ab157dc0087852c21b>::operator()() [D:\Build\++Portal+Promotion\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\Substance\Source\SubstanceLiveLink\Private\SubstanceLiveLinkModule.cpp:139]
UE4Editor_SubstanceLiveLink!TBaseFunctorDelegateInstance<void __cdecl(void),FDefaultDelegateUserPolicy,<lambda_4884dc02633e35ab157dc0087852c21b> >::ExecuteIfSafe() [D:\RocketSync\4.26.0-14830424+++UE4+Release-4.26\Working\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Delegates\DelegateInstancesImpl.h:838]
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
UE4Editor_Slate
user32
user32
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
UE4Editor
kernel32
ntdll

@Alan Lashbrook 0 ,

What version of Substance Painter? Are you able to reproduce this with meshes other than the pre-existing bought meshes? Can you also provide what meshes were used to cause the crash (or provide a link to the authors page)?

Substance Painter, version 6.2.2
Build 661 - 90395d89ce8b089bdb4bffbb6bd272741a80f04f

The meshes causing the crash were meshes that I created in Maya and imported to Unreal. The Meshes that I was able to send successfully were part of the Modular ScFi Season 2 Starter Bundle by Jonathan Frederick specifically the Static Mesh Case A, but only the meshes that I created myself were causing the crash. Link to the file causing the crash: https://gnomonschool-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/alan_l9607_gnomon_edu/EiD6L1YwdthLg2grUxIRvjUBGd5ERe2dl8to-8gLV1ucdQ?e=6fMJML

I apologize for mucking up this thread. I created a project from scratch and re-imported the mesh. Substance Painter plug-in worked perfectly. Only difference was I right click imported the mesh and let it create the default material instead of dragging and dropping the files. Shouldn't have mattered at any rate, but: Thank you for your  help, -kg- and thank you for starting the thread, reini99. Peace.

One last note. I've managed to re-create the crash. I assigned a new texture to the mesh before activating the Substance plug-in and it immediately crashed. Hope this helps.
Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 04:30:30 pm

Substance Painter, version 6.2.2
Build 661 - 90395d89ce8b089bdb4bffbb6bd272741a80f04f

The meshes causing the crash were meshes that I created in Maya and imported to Unreal. The Meshes that I was able to send successfully were part of the Modular ScFi Season 2 Starter Bundle by Jonathan Frederick specifically the Static Mesh Case A, but only the meshes that I created myself were causing the crash. Link to the file causing the crash: https://gnomonschool-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/alan_l9607_gnomon_edu/EiD6L1YwdthLg2grUxIRvjUBGd5ERe2dl8to-8gLV1ucdQ?e=6fMJML

I apologize for mucking up this thread. I created a project from scratch and re-imported the mesh. Substance Painter plug-in worked perfectly. Only difference was I right click imported the mesh and let it create the default material instead of dragging and dropping the files. Shouldn't have mattered at any rate, but: Thank you for your  help, -kg- and thank you for starting the thread, reini99. Peace.

One last note. I've managed to re-create the crash. I assigned a new texture to the mesh before activating the Substance plug-in and it immediately crashed. Hope this helps.

hey @Alan Lashbrook 0 ,

After some digging, I was able to reproduce your issue. I wasn't able to reproduce it initially. I replaced some textures in the base material (created by UE4 when the mesh was imported), but after sending it to Substance Painter it would just unlink those textures in the material and replace it with its own. The crash only appeared when I deleted the base material entirely, replaced it with a material I created, and sent it to Substance Painter. I got the same crash/error message you received as well.

Did you happen to delete the base material as well? When you send a mesh to SP, a SP project is created, UE4 Textures are created, and it seems like it tries to put those textures in a material that doesn't exist anymore, leading to the crash. This might have also occurred if you imported the mesh (without letting it create base materials) and applying your own material before sending it to Substance Painter.

I will put a ticket in for this issue. Thanks for the info and the report. :)
Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 01:07:02 am