Author Topic: Import UV issue FBX & OBJ  (Read 1669 times)

Just to do this quickly I exported out your mesh as an OBJ from Houdini, and you have some UV issues. The reason why it wont load into Painter is due to some faces which are spanning outside of your tiles (one was really out there in negative space). Aside from that you do have a lot of overlapping in your UV map, so I wasn't sure if you have MAT IDs set up or something to separate those into their own sets.

Once you fix the outside parts it will work fine.

This is one of the reasons I wanted to see the mesh because I've looked at thousands of mesh files where people assumed their UVs are done properly and they had such issues.

You can see this in Houdini if you select to view your POINTS. They're at the bottom:

Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 08:07:49 am
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

Wow, thanks so much for highlighting this, do you have more of a sure fire way that I can address these issues through houdini to avoid them in the future?
I genuinely thought autouv and uvlayout would be intelligent enough to work this out itself.

Whats also very strange is that the houdini hip file these uv issues are not apparent.  Its only once you export as an obj and then reimport that the issues show up???

Many Thanks
Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 05:34:45 pm

Wow, thanks so much for highlighting this, do you have more of a sure fire way that I can address these issues through houdini to avoid them in the future?
I genuinely thought autouv and uvlayout would be intelligent enough to work this out itself.

Whats also very strange is that the houdini hip file these uv issues are not apparent.  Its only once you export as an obj and then reimport that the issues show up???

Many Thanks

I personally avoid the use of any auto unwrap tools and still do everything manually on my end. I would reach out to the Houdini community and see what you can do about this though.

If you run a re-pack does it fix the issue?

Hi CAGameDEV,

So interestingly the only uv's that were an issue were the ones you spotted in the 1st attached image.

Strangely though when I export as fbx (550mb), it still errors out, but the obj (3.2gb) works in SP.

When I import the 550mb fbx into blender I get warped uv's (2nd attached image), have you ever seen anything like this happen?  It almost seems to be the fbx writing process.

Thanks

When I wrote it out to FBX and OBJ and tested in both Blender and Maya on my end everything was the same as my prior post. Not sure if maybe you did something different than me on the export, or something else went wrong.