Author Topic: Substance Painter Linux will not start  (Read 369 times)

System info:

Kernel: 5.10.3-arch1-1
Resolution: 5120x1440
DE: LXQt 0.16.0
CPU: Intel i7-6700K ( 8 ) @ 4.200GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
Memory: 31947MiB
NVIDIA Driver Version: 455.45.01
Substance Paiunter version:
Substance Painter 6.2.2+661.linux.x64.standard.90395d89

Problem:
Substance painter will not start at all.  when clicking on the icon in the application menu, nothing happens.  When attempting to run substance-painter from termin i recieve the following error:

~  substance-painter
QImage: out of memory, returning null
zsh: segmentation fault (core dumped)  substance-painter

Troubleshooting steps taken so far:
Reinstalled
- no change

Fully uninstalled
removed ~/.local/share/Allegorythmic
reinstalled
- no change

attempted to run with --vram-budget flag, with various amounts ranging from 3000 - 8000.
- no change

Log files:
No log files created, nothing is in .local/share/Allegorithmic/ after removing it and reinstalling.
Attached is the old log before this error started.
Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 12:08:48 am

Update:

After playing around with this for a while I discovered that it works just fine when I reduce my screen resolution to 3840x1080.

Once it's started, I can then increase my screen resolution back to native (5120x1440) and continue working without issue.

There seems to be an issue starting substance painter with high resolutions.

So.... Am  I just not going to get any help with this from adobe, for this (very) expensive piece of software I'm paying for?  Is there a better place to request support? there's no tech support contact number.

Hi,

The Linux distributions we support are CentOS and Ubuntu for the Steam version.
You can maybe gather more debug information by running the application from a terminal.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

The Linux distributions we support are CentOS and Ubuntu for the Steam version.
the Steam version currently for sale says it's a "presale" and coming Jan 26 is there a way to get the current version?  Also I have a license outside of steam, will you port my license into steam so I can use it there? I'm not paying for this twice.

Also, the Distro should not matter, as this is not a dependency issue.  this seems to be a problem stemming from the splash screen attemting to load at high resolutions in Qt.  Qt can be ran on any distro.

You can maybe gather more debug information by running the application from a terminal.

I did, As per the original post:
When attempting to run substance-painter from termin i recieve the following error:

~  substance-painter
QImage: out of memory, returning null
zsh: segmentation fault (core dumped)  substance-painter