Author Topic: Integrating Zbrush into UDIM workflow  (Read 1694 times)

So I musn't be the only persoin trying to do this:

Importing cavity, displacement and AO maps from Zbrush to use in fill layers in substance. The catch is the object has UDIM tiles, so the naming convention has to be specific to Substance. How do I do this?

Is there a way to name the exported textures from Zbrush? Or does it involve a manual rename step before importing into Substance. As far as I know the two have different naming conventions for UDIMs.

As long as they follow suffix by having .<udim> exampe: normal_Rocket.1001.filetype  normal_Rocket.1002.filetype ect... at the end you can get them without a problem.
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

Thanks for responding; that's the part I know already. I'm hoping to find a process for this that's efficient.

At any rate, perhaps this is a good time to address the elephant in the room, namely that software tools that should be able to easily share data to work together currently came up with their own arbitrary naming conventions for their handling of UDIM tiles, thus introducing an incompatibility. Not pointing the finger at one camp or another, but this is a good opportunity for the devs at Pixologic, Mari, Substance, etc... to talk to each other and agree on something that makes sense.

Meanwhile, for those who have no solution yet and are looking, I found this. Hope this helps ppl.
https://janjinda.com/pages/jj-udim-converter-documentation
Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 06:16:47 pm

Or you could do what every studio does, they have a script/plugin that handles all naming conventions for them. This is a standard practice in the industry when it comes to making software work together in sync as part of your pipeline.
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

Or you could do what every studio does, they have a script/plugin that handles all naming conventions for them. This is a standard practice in the industry when it comes to making software work together in sync as part of your pipeline.

That sounds great. But I'm not a studio. I'm slowly learning some Python tho. Maybe one day I'll write my own pipeline at home, like every studio does.

Just noticed there's a Substance Automation toolkit. Maybe this could be useful in there.