Author Topic: Substance plugin for UE4 keeps unlinking my files  (Read 1063 times)

Substance plugin for UE4 keeps unlinking my files and making me remake/bake the textures when I send them to painter to edit them (although it still shows that the textures are there). It’s as if it didn’t exist and starts over. What’s odd is that it’s not all my assets but it’s a good majority. Would really like to figure out what’s going on and how to fix this as I am dealing with a large game project and it’s becoming an issue for our work flow. Got some assets with lots of work into them and remaking them just when I’m trying to edit them.

Any help would be much appreciated thank you!

I am running the plug-in on 4.25

Substance plugin for UE4 keeps unlinking my files and making me remake/bake the textures when I send them to painter to edit them (although it still shows that the textures are there). It’s as if it didn’t exist and starts over. What’s odd is that it’s not all my assets but it’s a good majority. Would really like to figure out what’s going on and how to fix this as I am dealing with a large game project and it’s becoming an issue for our work flow. Got some assets with lots of work into them and remaking them just when I’m trying to edit them.

@P_White6 ,

Can you post a video or outline the steps you follow in order for us to repro this? :) (Also what version of Substance Painter?)

@P_White6 ,

Can you post a video or outline the steps you follow in order for us to repro this? :) (Also what version of Substance Painter?)

Sounds good. Thank you.

Substance Painter 6.2.2

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n_hYB321hhKA4IJGB06CDIm7Z5H2VVmJ/view?usp=sharing

The objects in which I am sending to Substance Painter are items I have already textured and Substance is acting as if I haven't already.

@P_White6 ,

Sounds good. Thank you.

Substance Painter 6.2.2

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n_hYB321hhKA4IJGB06CDIm7Z5H2VVmJ/view?usp=sharing

The objects in which I am sending to Substance Painter are items I have already textured and Substance is acting as if I haven't already.

@P_White6 ,

If you export something to Substance Painter (or in this case, even click cancel on the second dialogue), the plugin will try create a .spp project and create new blank materials in UE4 for that project. So if there are any materials already applied to the mesh in UE4, Painter would have no idea. That would explain the plugin removing the materials. UE4 materials can't be sent to Painter unfortunately. All the LiveLink plugin does is send textures back from Painter and place them in a material.

However, after you send a mesh the first time using Live Link in UE4 to Painter that .spp project will be placed in the project folder (along with the textures). So any other time you wanted to send it, it would see that project and wouldn't reset the materials.

Hope that makes sense :)

Substance plugin for UE4 keeps unlinking my files and making me remake/bake the textures when I send them to painter to edit them (although it still shows that the textures are there). It%u2019s as if it didn%u2019t exist and starts over. What%u2019s odd is that it%u2019s not all my assets but it%u2019s a good majority. Would really like to figure out what%u2019s going on and how to fix this as I am dealing with a large game project and it%u2019s becoming an issue for our work flow. Got some assets with lots of work into them and remaking them just when I%u2019m trying to edit them.

@P_White6 ,

Sounds good. Thank you.

Substance Painter 6.2.2

@P_White6 ,

If you export something to Substance Painter (or in this case, even click cancel on the second dialogue), the plugin will try create a .spp project and create new blank materials in UE4 for that project. So if there are any materials already applied to the mesh in UE4, Painter would have no idea. That would explain the plugin removing the materials. UE4 materials can't be sent to Painter unfortunately. All the LiveLink plugin does is send textures back from Painter and place them in a material.

However, after you send a mesh the first time using Live Link in UE4 to Painter that .spp project will be placed in the project folder (along with the textures). So any other time you wanted to send it, it would see that project and wouldn't reset the materials.

It makes sense but I don't think I was clear on my end.

What you are seeing are objects that are already substance painter textures. I am not using any UE4 textures at all. What you are seeing is me sending an FBX model that I already used the live link and it becoming unlinked as if it never existed.
Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 09:35:40 pm

@P_White6 ,

Sounds good. Thank you.

Substance Painter 6.2.2

@P_White6 ,

Bumping because I need help and it's apparent I wasn't clear so here is my step by step workflow:

- Import FBX into UE4
- Right Click on FBX model to send to Substance Painter through the live link
- Object is imported into Substance Painter
- Mess with baking settings
- Bake the FBX
- Texture my FBX ( at this point I can see the live link is working and the textures are showing up)
- Save item
- Move on to the next FBX
-- At this point for the sake of communication let's say I save my UE4 project and exit out. I come back the next day and I go to that FBX model that I was texturing in painter and I want to add some more details but this time when I send it to painter it makes me start over as if it doesn't recognize that I already textured it in painter (much like the video I posted).

Would love the help. My company is using this program for our project and I'd hate to get so far creating our levels and having to restart again.

Hi, Integrations PM here! Thank you for the further repro steps! We've submitted a request to have support for updating projects in Painter that will essentially "fix" the issue you are experiencing. Once that is in place, you should be able to utilize the workflow as described. At this time, we do not have a timeline given the work needed is outside of the plugin, however we will update this post with any further info as it is received.
Substance Integrations Product Manager

Hi, Integrations PM here! Thank you for the further repro steps! We've submitted a request to have support for updating projects in Painter that will essentially "fix" the issue you are experiencing. Once that is in place, you should be able to utilize the workflow as described. At this time, we do not have a timeline given the work needed is outside of the plugin, however, we will update this post with any further info as it is received.

Perfect! Thank you for replying. Hope to see it fixed in the future. Untill then I'll be careful with what we're doing.