Author Topic: latest amd drivers issue  (Read 1514 times)

I just installed latest gpu (Radeon RX5700XT) drivers: 20.11.2. When i want to add a new layer in Substance Painter, and change the color of it, program is getting freeze and crashed. When I installed 20.4.2 drivers everything works fine. But i also play games, and its good to have latest drivers. Did anyone have a similar problem and know what to do?

I just installed latest gpu (Radeon RX5700XT) drivers: 20.11.2. When i want to add a new layer in Substance Painter, and change the color of it, program is getting freeze and crashed. When I installed 20.4.2 drivers everything works fine. But i also play games, and its good to have latest drivers. Did anyone have a similar problem and know what to do?

Yo mate ! i have the exact same GPU as u and i just update to the latest driver too, and im having the same problem, when i add another layer or a material, or i just mess with the material parameters, it freezes and i have to close SP from task manager.

Should be an AMD problem i think Substance staff already contacted AMD to solve this problem, im going to try and downgrade the driver version of the GPU later today to see if it works fine, u should try this meanwhile, greetings !
Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 03:54:50 pm

I've got the same problem and have been trying everything I could think of to try and solve it / find out what's causing it.
Reinstalled GPU drivers clean, reinstalled substance, even tried a different windows account and seeing if anything would show up with process monitor...

But I guess I'll be trying to downgrade the drivers again, then, instead of getting the latest ones...

How can I downgrade my drivers?

Run a cleaner like: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Then install the driver version you want.
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

There are issues indeed, there's thread about it here: https://forum.substance3d.com/index.php/topic,35908.0.html

Hopefully we'll see a fix soon, I need to upgrade my drivers and that means I cannot use Substance Painter.

Yes ! i just downgrade the version of the driver yesterday and substance worked perfectly, lets hope they can fix it soon enough so i can update to the last driver again :)

Same issue on the latest driver 20.12.1. Maybe next month... :(

Im very upset as its been more than 2 weeks with not beeing able to use the software that im paying.... should have a free month or something.... Im thinking of just changing to Mari for good.... im using quixel mixer already for the things i need to hand in during this days.

If i want to download old drivers, im typing in google "*name of gpu* previous drivers". And there should be a site with downloadable drivers

Since this is an AMD driver issue, it is something they need to fix on their side unfortunately, and we can only offer a workaround, while they release a new driver version which fixes the issues.

The best you can do for the moment is downgrade your driver to either 20.9 or 20.8 (instead of 20.11 which has issues). Please check this thread for more details: https://forum.substance3d.com/index.php/topic,35908.0.html
Valeria Gerontopoulos
Product Designer | 3D Artist