Author Topic: Strange baking  (Read 193 times)

Hello. I am new to Substance Painter, I have never baked high to low poly models and I have problems with that.
I have this model with different meshes. (Blender 2.90.1)

And I have low poly model

When I try to bake to low poly, I get these artifacts:

I want these lines between the planks to be clean and straight, but that doesn't work. Need help with some advice, please.

Here are my files
Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 12:53:12 am

You do not want those harsh, 90 degree angle polygons in your high res model, and also not in your lowres model if you want to bake normals. It not really is a high res model at all, insert bevels on all the edges, model the grooves/ rills as they would be in real life.

There isn't a lot of difference between your high and low models, it might not make sense to bake normals at all. Just insert simple bevels at the edges, then texture the low res model directly without baking normals.
Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 12:52:23 pm

You do not want those harsh, 90 degree angle polygons in your high res model, and also not in your lowres model if you want to bake normals. It not really is a high res model at all, insert bevels on all the edges, model the grooves/ rills as they would be in real life.

There isn't a lot of difference between your high and low models, it might not make sense to bake normals at all. Just insert simple bevels at the edges, then texture the low res model directly without baking normals.
Thanks for your support. I just added Subdivision Surface to my "high poly" objects, baked it to low poly and it works.
Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 11:51:49 pm

I have another question about baking.
Here is my low poly model

And here it is after baking

Why are all holes baked like this? All shadows are shifted to the center. Can I control this so that fake volume can be seen in the middle for each hole?

Try to bake the normal map in Substance Designer (or Marmoset Toolbag) with 'skew correction' option activated. There is no such option in the Painter normal baker unfortunately.
Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 12:50:54 pm