Author Topic: What is a good UV layout?  (Read 1844 times)

Hey all,

I'm experimenting with what would be the best approach of UV'ing this model.
This will not be for a game but for a short movie.
Its a worm and I want the skin to be continues, the problem that I noticed, is that I will not have enough resolution when I have all UV's uniformly scaled, even at 4K. Since the face will be the most important part, I decided to scale up the face UV's, which leaves me off course with a scaling-transition between the different parts. Maybe I can cover it all up by patching the borders somehow and it will be no problem at all( also he will wear some clothing, maybe a jacket). But I thought maybe you clever people will have some very cool idea of how to deal with this?

Thanks a lot, Robert
Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:07:34 pm

Hey all,

I'm experimenting with what would be the best approach of UV'ing this model.
This will not be for a game but for a short movie.
Its a worm and I want the skin to be continues, the problem that I noticed, is that I will not have enough resolution when I have all UV's uniformly scaled, even at 4K. Since the face will be the most important part, I decided to scale up the face UV's, which leaves me off course with a scaling-transition between the different parts. Maybe I can cover it all up by patching the borders somehow and it will be no problem at all( also he will wear some clothing, maybe a jacket). But I thought maybe you clever people will have some very cool idea of how to deal with this?

Thanks a lot, Robert

Hi Robert,

For this asset, you can increase the resolution by enlarging the UV shells to adequately fill the 0-1 space and thus improve the texel resolution. I would give each UV shell that you want to maximize a material ID. Then, you can scale the UVs to fill the 0-1 space. For example, I would have the face its own material ID and then scale the face UVs to fill the 0-1 space. Each of these material IDs will become a texture set in SP. You will now have much better resolution when you paint. The parts of the worm do not have to be separated. In the UVs, the UV shells can overlap. However, in SP, the texture set will only allow you to paint on the UVs that correspond to the faces in the material ID.

Another thing to think about it UV ratio. You need to make sure that each shell is scaled proportional to each other. For instance, you wouldn't want to face UVs to have a better texel resolution( more pixels in the texture map) than the neck UVs. If both textures for the face and neck are 4K, then even though the size is the same, the UV layout will cause the neck UVs to look lower res. What I do is apply a checker map to all materials. I then make sure that the checkers all look proportional to each other when all materials are viewed as a whole e.g. the entire worm. This will ensure that all of the UV shells provide the same amount of pixels in the texture.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja