Warning: filesize(): stat failed for /var/www/html/cache/data_b3d9e87568fea535c0e7d85b33710dd7-SMF-modSettings.php in /var/www/html/Sources/Load.php on line 2808
Can't bake normal from mesh due to screen resolution/resizable window - v. 4.6.1

Author Topic: Can't bake normal from mesh due to screen resolution/resizable window - v. 4.6.1  (Read 3662 times)

Hello everyone,

I've been toying around with Substance Designer 4.6.1 and come to a strange malefunction.
It happens when I try to bake a normal map from a mesh.
I'll state the single steps, maybe someone can reproduce the error or come up with a fix.

1. I select the mesh and go to the baking options (attached image: bake_01.png).
2. After adding a normal from mesh pass, the bake window resizes and now I can't reach the options at the bottom nor the "OK" button. (bake_02.png). The window itself doesn't allow me to resize it in the y direction, just x is possible.

Is there a solution for this problem?

Happend to me after trying out working on my laptop, haven't got the problem on my desktop workstation. (Laptop: Lenovo Y570, GeForce 555M, 8gb Ram, Win 7 Prof. 64 bit, screen resolution: 1280x768; Windows taskbar is set to hide automatically)

Thanks a lot.

PS: Is there any update on the release of 8k texture support in Substance Painter/Designer? I mostly work on Software Rendering in Maya, so a higher resolution would be nice.

Hello everyone,

I've been toying around with Substance Designer 4.6.1 and come to a strange malefunction.
It happens when I try to bake a normal map from a mesh.
I'll state the single steps, maybe someone can reproduce the error or come up with a fix.

1. I select the mesh and go to the baking options (attached image: bake_01.png).
2. After adding a normal from mesh pass, the bake window resizes and now I can't reach the options at the bottom nor the "OK" button. (bake_02.png). The window itself doesn't allow me to resize it in the y direction, just x is possible.

Is there a solution for this problem?

Happend to me after trying out working on my laptop, haven't got the problem on my desktop workstation. (Laptop: Lenovo Y570, GeForce 555M, 8gb Ram, Win 7 Prof. 64 bit, screen resolution: 1280x768; Windows taskbar is set to hide automatically)

Thanks a lot.

PS: Is there any update on the release of 8k texture support in Substance Painter/Designer? I mostly work on Software Rendering in Maya, so a higher resolution would be nice.

Hi,

I will report this issue to the developers. Is it possible to resize the bake window by mousing over the corner of the window and dragging?

SD can output in 8K, but the GPU just needs to be strong enough. In order to work at 8K, you need to switch to the GPU engine. Tools>Switch Engine. It will be difficult to work at 8K, but you may be able to export maps at 8K.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi Wes,

Thanks for the fast reply.
I've recorded a short video to showcase the problem, hope this helps, if you need further information, please feel free to ask.
For this video I've turned of the "Hide Taskbar" feature in Win7, but the problem still exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR5kY5vhQMk

As for the 8k, it would be a nice addition for the SP aswell. I know your main customers are in the game industry, but SP is such a nice tool that it would help a lot of us FX guys aswell.

Have a nice day,

Leo

Hi Wes,

Thanks for the fast reply.
I've recorded a short video to showcase the problem, hope this helps, if you need further information, please feel free to ask.
For this video I've turned of the "Hide Taskbar" feature in Win7, but the problem still exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR5kY5vhQMk

As for the 8k, it would be a nice addition for the SP aswell. I know your main customers are in the game industry, but SP is such a nice tool that it would help a lot of us FX guys aswell.

Have a nice day,

Leo

Thanks Leo. This is very helpful. The devs will take a look at the issue.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

I'm having the same issue. My Resolution is 1366x768 and cant reach the bottom of the bake window or resize it whatsoever.

I'm having the same issue. I tried baking from two different machines thinking the issue was the different resolutions but still the window becomes too big and isn't re-sizable. The window just seems to snap back up whenever I attempt to re-size it. Is there a workaround to this issue or not yet? I'd appreciate some input.

Thanks,

Zarian
Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 10:22:46 am
"Time to level up!"

Same problem. I tried changing the screen res but it snaps back once I choose the create normals option. I'll try this in my laptop, but I fear the problem will happen again. Has there been any solution or workaround?

Am having same issue with the baking window. When I try to resize to get to the ok button the window snaps down and vanishes. It is there but not accessible and I have to kill the program.This is a problem I had in December that seems to have returned with SD 5. Any suggestions would be appreciated, have tried the usual stuff... reinstalls etc.

The same problem here also.

Anyway, I noticed that if you just keep moving the cursor to the bottom of the screen the window scrolls down slowly. By doing this I am able to find the ok button.

I have also got a 1366x768 and the only way I can get to it is to set the display to portrait mode. Very awkward, hope this is fixed soon.