Author Topic: Shape Splatter jagged / aliased edges  (Read 1252 times)

Hi there. I'm having trouble getting smooth edges when using the Shape Splatter Node.
I'm able to achieve decent results with the Tile Sampler, however, it seems the Shape Splatter node is degrading the edges of my shapes when scaling them down ( see image ).

Perhaps I'm missing something? Would love to use this node so hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks a bunch!

Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 05:42:37 am

Hi,

That's a limitation of the shape splatter, the contour of a shape have to be binary (either 1 or 0) whereas in the Tile Sampler the shape contour can have grayscale values.
Product Manager - Allegorithmic

I appreciate your reply Nicolas, thank you.

Is there a workflow where we can achieve smooth edges, perhaps with the ‘Shape Splatter Blend’ and ‘Shape Splatter to Mask’?

Also I’m a bit confused with the ‘Output’ parameter within ‘Shape Splatter to Mask’. There are options for ‘Binary Mask’ and ‘Grayscale Values’ but it doesn't seem to change anything?

Thanks again for your help.

Is there a workflow where we can achieve smooth edges, perhaps with the ‘Shape Splatter Blend’ and ‘Shape Splatter to Mask’?

Only solution I see is to perform "super sampling": compute your nodes at twice the final resolution and downscale at the end.
Looking again at your screenshot, I'm actually not sure I see why you get these aliased edges in your case.. could you send me your graph ?

Also I’m a bit confused with the ‘Output’ parameter within ‘Shape Splatter to Mask’. There are options for ‘Binary Mask’ and ‘Grayscale Values’ but it doesn't seem to change anything?

- Binary: gives you a black and white mask, no matter the Splatter Data
- integer: looks like a binary mask, but the values can be > 1. It depends on the 'Pattern Input Number' you have in you Shape Splatter node.
- Grayscale: same as integer but divides the value by 'Pattern ID End Range' to remain in the [0, 1] range

Product Manager - Allegorithmic

Thanks Nicolas. Your advice and outlining the limitation on the Shape Splatter node has helped me troubleshoot.
Receiving speedy replies in the forum is so great, much appreciated.