Author Topic: Iridescent Substance Source material in Blender Cycles  (Read 1118 times)

Hi,

I'm trying to set-up a material I downloaded from Substance Source named Car Fluo Paint. I'm familiar with most of the maps I generated using Substance Player but a few are totally new to me and I'm not sure how to plug them in to the Principled BSDF shader in cycles. The maps I'm unfamiliar with are the colorcoat and colorflake maps. Regarding the colorflake map, I'm not sure how to combine it with the base color map to achieve the best result - as well as achieving iridescence. As for the colorcoat map, I've used this to define the color of a glossy shader which is then mixed with the Principled BSDF to achieve the milky clearcoat on top. If you could take a look at my node setup it would be greatly appreciated. I couldn't find any helpful resources through the Substance Academy or on any Blender forums, if you know of any that would be very helpful as well.

Link to the .blend file.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/61ysr3qsh0znq4n/car_fluo_paint.blend?dl=0

Thanks,
Jamie
Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 09:13:39 pm

Hi Jamie,

This is a special material, which can oly appear as expected if the MDL is used. You can't replicate it with the Principled BSDF. However you can reconstruct the MDL shader in Cycles.
The sbs file is available on Source, you can open it in Designer and replicate the operations in the same context.
PO @ Allegorithmic

Here you can see the mapping you need to do in the Shader graph of Blender.
You can see that you need to use the "Fresnel Node" from Blender to do the Iridescent effect in the Base Color.
For the Clear Coat on metallic car paints, you can use the Principle Shader with the clear coat input.

Thank You!!! Much Appreciated.