Author Topic: Normal Portraying differently (sp/sd)  (Read 1345 times)

i seem to have a problem where mu normal map detail within substance painter seems perfect but as i bring it into Substance designer, the normals seem to go loose and wavy. as shown in the pictures, you can see the asset with the colour is in substance painter and the other is in substance designer. Normal,Rough,Metalic,base Colour nodes are all connected through a base material node within substance onto the outputs and all outputs are being viewed, however only normal seems to carry through to the viewport and the rest dont.

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Regards,
MrSuuBii3D

i seem to have a problem where mu normal map detail within substance painter seems perfect but as i bring it into Substance designer, the normals seem to go loose and wavy. as shown in the pictures, you can see the asset with the colour is in substance painter and the other is in substance designer. Normal,Rough,Metalic,base Colour nodes are all connected through a base material node within substance onto the outputs and all outputs are being viewed, however only normal seems to carry through to the viewport and the rest dont.

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Regards,
MrSuuBii3D

Hi,

This happens because SD and SP are currently using a different tangent space. What you need to do is make sure your mesh is triangulated before importing into SD. So in your 3D app, triangulate the mesh, then export to FBX or OBJ. Now when you import the mesh into SD and apply the normal map, it will look correct.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja