Author Topic: Clone tools over different texture sets  (Read 968 times)

Hello,

I am a surveyor working in reality capture. My models come from photogrammetry software (3d Zephyr) or laser scanning (Leica Cyclone 3DR, former 3D Reshaper).

My models have multiple textures. I want to use the cloning tool to fix some parts of the models. Unfortunately, I can not paint over different texture sets/UDIMs. Take a look at an example:

I want to remove the car in the red circle. Unfortunately, I can clone and paint only on the same texture sets. To take from one and paint over the other is impossible. If you see how my UDIMs were generated you will understand my pain:

What can I do in this situation? My programs generate UV tiles as they see fit and I don't want to go through external software to manually edit the UVs. I know that Substance Painter supports painting over UDIMs and that is what I want but in the docs section and youtube video there were different UDIMs attached to one model. Here I have only one model but it is split into different Texture Sets.

Can I somehow merge texture sets? Or is there any option that would allow me to use clone tool to take color from one texture sets and apply it to another?

Any reason you're using different texture sets while having UDIMs? You're putting each tile in sequence within its own texture set. Are you using a different shader per UV tile?

Since you're using a fill layer with an image, I would strip the MAT IDs from the mesh and make sure you have a single MAT id shared for all the meshes, and keep your UDIMs 1001-1004 under a single set then import into Painter and load in your images with your fill layers. With the ability to paint across tiles you can use the clone tool without issue.
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

Hello, thank you for your answer.

Any reason you're using different texture sets while having UDIMs?

Honestly, I don't know. That's what I get when I start the project. My starting settings are as follows:

You're putting each tile in sequence within its own texture set.

Is it possible to move all tiles to one texture set? I was googling for "merge texture sets substance painter" and "combine textures substance painter" but with no success.

Are you using a different shader per UV tile?

I don't remember having such an option in my software. Definitely I am not doing it intentionally.

Since you're using a fill layer with an image...,

I use fill layers because if I apply one texture to "layer" it is applied to all remaining texture sets (as in the image).
The workflow with "fill layers" was presented in one youtube video I saw.

I would strip the MAT IDs from the mesh and make sure you have a single MAT id shared for all the meshes, and keep your UDIMs 1001-1004 under a single set then import into Painter and load in your images with your fill layers. With the ability to paint across tiles you can use the clone tool without issue.

I understand that this must be done in external software. I tried manual unwrapping in Blender but with no success. Most probably because I am far from being an expert in this software.

If SPainter is setting up your project with multiple texture sets, that means it's detecting different material IDs.  In order to paint between UDIMs your imported mesh will need to use a single Mat ID.

1: You'll need to shift each mat ID to it's own UDIM either in your photogrammetry app (if exporting with UDIMS is an option) or doing it manually in another program.  (in blender, you can select faces by material, then move them into the right UDIM space.)
2: Once your Mat ID chunks are set up in UDIM configuration, you'll need to apply a single shader across your whole mesh, so when you re-export, your mesh will have a single Mat ID.
3:  Then you'll need to rename your textures to correspond to which UDIM you've moved each chunk to. (filename.1001.psd, filename.1002.psd, etc.)  This way SPainter will know how to load your textures when you set up your project.  If your Photogrammetry app has a UDIM export option, this may be a step it does for you, but make sure the naming convention matches what SPainter requires.

The first thing I'd check is if your Photogrammetry app has some option to export models in UDIM configuration, then go from there.