Author Topic: Substance Designer Material: Nylon-Canvas Fibre  (Read 1461 times)

Good evening, guys (and gals). It has been a LOOOOOONG time since I've posted in this forum and today was a great opportunity to show off a new material that I've wanted to engineer for a very long time and finally found the courage to engineer it. It is based on the Nylon-Canvas Fibre found mainly on messenger bags and straps that require high strength. I wanted to 3d model it, but needed to step up my material authoring game as well...

This will be a microtexture (tileable texture) and I need to make sure it looks EXTREMELY good from a distance and up close on my characters. Below are some of my shots of the fabric and while I like it, I am trying to match the reference image, especially with the ribs. Not done with it yet...

Would love some feedback on how to further improve the detail and try to closely match the ribs on the reference image.

Reference Image (after a google search)

Substance Designer Renders

At the moment, it is looking like wicker... I need to make sure the "ribs" under the fibers are not showing too much...

After some careful tweaking, I finally nailed the look of the Nylon strap material and included the ribs that you would normally see. The final step will be refining the look of the striations and blend it into the height map before testing it in Unity