Author Topic: Pack multiple L8 maps on export in a single RGB8 map  (Read 4506 times)

When exporting the maps from SP, that could be nice to have a flexible way to pack L8 textures together in a RGB8 texture.
For example to pack Roughness, Metalness and... let's say AO, or any other L8 channel map together in order to use them in a game engine.
Also, I know some game engines are packing roughness in the alpha channel of the normal map, for example.

This may be in the works right now ;)

When exporting the maps from SP, that could be nice to have a flexible way to pack L8 textures together in a RGB8 texture.
For example to pack Roughness, Metalness and... let's say AO, or any other L8 channel map together in order to use them in a game engine.
Also, I know some game engines are packing roughness in the alpha channel of the normal map, for example.

+1 for this. I'm using a shader in Unity that supports this, and with something like this, it would take off the extra weight of setting up my graphs later

This may be in the works right now ;)
Nice :D
Thanks

also interested, 

at my workplace we do this as well, but with Base_reflectivity, Roughness, and Occlusion.

and thus we call them BROmaps.

1.2 now lets you pack your textures in any way you want :)

Hey Jeremie, this new functionality is nothing less than AWESOME :D
I have a suggestion though: convert from sRGB to Linear and vice versa.
The engine I use at work, while not totally PBR, uses indeed a specular channel (grayscale), but it works properly only with linear maps.

Thanks!

Substance Painter Exports Linear Images by default. You don't need to change anything.
ColorOutputs are sRGB a (Albedo, for instance).
Grayscale Inputs are Linear (Roughness, Metalness)
Environment Artist - Twitter

Substance Painter Exports Linear Images by default. You don't need to change anything.
ColorOutputs are sRGB a (Albedo, for instance).
Grayscale Inputs are Linear (Roughness, Metalness)

Hi Fabian, are you sure about that? From what I can see, the Specular map (maybe because it's a color map after all), is sRGB.
In our engine though we don't use a colormap for the specular (for now), but a B/N map indicating a percentage.
For this reason, the current exporter doesn't work for us. I still have to assemble the maps manually in Photoshop, or in Designer.

Sorry, my fault. Specularmap is of course sRGB, because it's a color map.
You can change the Channel in Substance Painter to L16 (or something else you need) and then it will be interpreted as Linear as well.
Environment Artist - Twitter

Sorry, my fault. Specularmap is of course sRGB, because it's a color map.
You can change the Channel in Substance Painter to L16 (or something else you need) and then it will be interpreted as Linear as well.
I understand, but the problem is that I'm converting from Basecolor to Diffuse/Specular.
So, I have to keep the BaseColor as sRGB, and I have no option to influence the color space of the generated maps.