Author Topic: Max Frontal and Rear distance  (Read 4152 times)

how is a higher value for Max Frontal and Rear distance affecting an asset in a game engine?   Does it make a difference at all?

The front and rear distance is used to determine your ray distance and has to do with the baker. Yes, it makes a difference as different high and low meshes might require different settings to get a good bake, or you can use a cage as well. The default values are a good starting point and you can adjust from there as needed.
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

@CaGameDev thank you!  To get a good bake for my normal map I had to use 0.039 max frontal and 0.016 for rear.  You are saying that these high values will end up taxing on computing time in an engine? Are they unusually high?

I'm not sure what you're referring to by performance within an engine. I never made any such comments about engines, or about performance.

My initial question was from that point of view, as I'm curios to know if these higher values will actually have an impact in computing/processing time. I read your answer with that in mind when you said it makes a difference.

My initial question was from that point of view, as I'm curios to know if these higher values will actually have an impact in computing/processing time. I read your answer with that in mind when you said it makes a difference.

Your question doesn't make any sense. You're asking if the frontal and rear distance baking settings in Painter some how affect performance in a game engine. There is no relationship between your ray distance in Painter and how well your asset performs in a game engine.

FYI, Substance Painter isn't a Game Engine, so if you're actually asking if the setting makes baking faster or slower that still wouldn't matter. That setting is used to adjust your ray distance if your bakes are off.

I would suggest learning how baking actually works.

https://docs.substance3d.com/spdoc/baking-109608997.html

https://academy.substance3d.com/courses/substance-painter-baking-parameters

Hey man no need to use a snappy tone. I appreciate you taking the time to answer me and I'm here to get the answers.Please don't shame me for asking. No question is a stupid question.

Yes the below is exactly all I wanted to know. I'm aware of the rest. Thank you for explaining.
You're asking if the frontal and rear distance baking settings in Painter some how affect performance in a game engine. There is no relationship between your ray distance in Painter and how well your asset performs in a game engine.