Author Topic: How to "Glass to Vray Maya" Export Substance Painter 2020 Ver.  (Read 1919 times)

Hello Substance people, Am am trying to understand why did Substance change the Export Textures UI.

I need help trying to Re-Learn a few things with a new step's. 

Am trying to Export Glass to Maya with Vray. Any one have any suggestion of someone or a place the I can look at?

Thanks.

For anything glass related I will always recommend you use a refraction shader for whatever piece needs to be glass. Then you'll need the correct IOR value which for glass starts at 1.5 and will vary a bit depending on if you're wanting Acrylic which is between 1.49 and 1.492, ect...

If you need a color value to feed into the refraction color you can just put a fill layer for that part and plug it into the shader. The same applies to the glossiness amount.

I would highly suggest keeping anything glass related as its own texture set. This will also allow you to make a shader instance in Painter and use refraction only on that part when rendering in iRAY.
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

For anything glass related I will always recommend you use a refraction shader for whatever piece needs to be glass. Then you'll need the correct IOR value which for glass starts at 1.5 and will vary a bit depending on if you're wanting Acrylic which is between 1.49 and 1.492, ect...

If you need a color value to feed into the refraction color you can just put a fill layer for that part and plug it into the shader. The same applies to the glossiness amount.

I would highly suggest keeping anything glass related as its own texture set. This will also allow you to make a shader instance in Painter and use refraction only on that part when rendering in iRAY.
Is there a video or an example that explains adding transperancy in refraction?

Unless Im misunderstood Substance Painters role, glass is always done in your DCC application using the Vray Material and has nothing to do with Substance Painter?

As already mentioned You need to set up glass in the Vray material assigned to the geometry that should be glass.  No diffuse color, just transparency, and refraction, reflection.  Now I don't use Maya, and my version of Vray is in C4D in which I still use the Advance Material but in general its always them combo, Transparency, Reflection, and Refraction.  If you do a search on youtube your find tons of glass tutorials for vray on there.

Now as my opening question indicates it could be Im not informed of glass use in Painter but I wouldn't have thought to try to do glass in painter other than for pre viz in painter, but rather make it in Vray applied to the geometry in question.

Dan

Glass in Painter would only be done for two reasons.

1. Pre-visualization with the intent to take rendering outside of IRAY
2. If you only intend on rendering with IRAY.
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)