Author Topic: Why three different naming conventions on export ???  (Read 1555 times)

Hi there.
I am using the indy pack and love it so far, but one thing that bugs me is that SD, SP and B2M use different naming conventions on export and it is even getting worse. I use the PGB metal/rough shader and when I export maps from Designer it says "basecolor", from Painter it used to be "base_color" now it has changes to "Base_Color" ans B2M calls it "baseColor". As long as you build your shaders by hand that is all fine and dandy, but at work where my boss bought a couple of pro licenses we made a script that builds the shading network automatically, all we need is point to the basecolor map and boom, we're done. but we had to build into it some ugly exceptions to make sure we cover every naming convention, depending on the app used. Now it just got worse as the new version of Painter has introduced upper case naming: _Base_Color, _Normal, _Roughness, _Metallic ect.
It gets worse with each iteration and we don't like it. We love consistency and we hope you see it the same way.

I don't want to dictate what your naming convention should be, I really don't care, but please make it consistent through all apps.

regards

Guillaume Wyatt

Hi there.
I am using the indy pack and love it so far, but one thing that bugs me is that SD, SP and B2M use different naming conventions on export and it is even getting worse. I use the PGB metal/rough shader and when I export maps from Designer it says "basecolor", from Painter it used to be "base_color" now it has changes to "Base_Color" ans B2M calls it "baseColor". As long as you build your shaders by hand that is all fine and dandy, but at work where my boss bought a couple of pro licenses we made a script that builds the shading network automatically, all we need is point to the basecolor map and boom, we're done. but we had to build into it some ugly exceptions to make sure we cover every naming convention, depending on the app used. Now it just got worse as the new version of Painter has introduced upper case naming: _Base_Color, _Normal, _Roughness, _Metallic ect.
It gets worse with each iteration and we don't like it. We love consistency and we hope you see it the same way.

I don't want to dictate what your naming convention should be, I really don't care, but please make it consistent through all apps.

regards

Guillaume Wyatt

Thanks for the feedback! I will pass this along to the devs.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks Wes. Improvong this will make our scripting guys very happy.