Author Topic: Fractal sum base to normal issue  (Read 1134 times)

Hi,

I have horizontal and vertical lines, instead of a smooth gradient, when I plug a fractal sum base noise into a normal node.
Apparently it doesn't occure with other noises.

Hi,

I think I found why you get such result. You played with the roughness parameter in the fractal node, right ?
This effect uses a blur node which tends to generate this sort of artifacts.
If you really need to blur the fractal, If think I wouldn't touch the roughness parameter and use a blur HQ node just after the fractal sum base node instead.
This is what I did here and the normal seems to be better using a blur HQ
QA Analyst

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
Sadly it isn't that.
I haven't played with the roughness parameter.
The only thing I changed in the fractal node is the max level, in order to make the issue more visible.
I think that I tried to tweek every parameters in the fractal node, including the output format, but I can't get rid of the lines when it goes to the normal node.

Hey,

Thanks for those details.
I restested this time modifying only the level max parameter and it seems the blur node is involved here too.
I tested several things and fractal sum base uses the atomic blur node a lot so that's normal you get those lines when pluggin it into a normal node.
Now it depends on your need but a blur HQ with a low intensity is a nice way to avoid this effect !

QA Analyst

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation and the workaround.
I will also try to blend multiple perlin noise to achieve similar result.
The fractal sum base is really a nice noise, I hope it will be fixed.

Cheers