Author Topic: How to increase performance on multiple UDIMs  (Read 849 times)

I have used UDIMs for several years now as texture sets. Now since the update I notice the task of managing multiple UDIMs to be much more computationally intensive than before, understandably so as we can now paint across them.

Dropping the resolution to 1024 or 2048 does help but I often need to check the high res details. Switching back to 4K takes a lot of time due to some kind of re-computation. This is not unbearable situation by all means, but I often wish there was less waiting. As I do this for a living, investing into more high end hardware may also be reasonable choice.

I am running Substance on Ryzen 3950x with 64gb of RAM and 2080Super with 8GB.

My question if, was I to upgrade to 2080Ti which has 11GB or Quadro card with 16GB, would I see noticeable improvement when dealing with several UDIMS? Or should I increase RAM on my computer instead?

Are you still using the UDIMs as Texture Set workflow or did you switch to the new UV Tile workflow ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

I switched to the new workflow

With the new workflow, all the UV Tiles are within the same Texture Set which means in some occasions they will be computed all at once. That's why we recommend using the UV Tile mask to discard some computations. You can also override the resolution per UV Tile to lower the resolution of all of them expect the one you want to work on, etc.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.