Author Topic: Does Substance Painter 2020.1.3 (6.1.3) allow one to skip Unwrap UVW in Max?  (Read 422 times)

I get an error when Open UV Editor (see image) is invokeduhdated. I tried selecting all vertex, welding and resetting XForm but still have this error, what's the deal please? What do the green lines mean? I need to stitch or somfin?

TIA
Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:24:20 pm

If I don't Unwrap UVW's in 3DS MAX, Substance Painter will do it for me

If I don't Unwrap UVW's in 3DS MAX, Substance Painter will do it for me

Yes, if you want Painter can Auto Unwrap. Just remember to export the mesh from Painter after to use it with your new UVs. I would suggest manually doing your UVs in MAX prior though for better texture results and baking.

I just learned to UV unwrap using vertex color coding. I first used a method that uses multiple material ID's so when baked and sent to SP as an exported fbx, there's a bunch of texture sets. The last tut I learned to use one 'material' ID with multiple vertex color ID's. The vertex color method was faster but it doesn't separate the different elements into Texture Set meshes.
Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 06:09:07 am

I just learned to UV unwrap using vertex color coding. I first used a method that uses multiple material ID's so when baked and sent to SP as an exported fbx, there's a bunch of texture sets. The last tut I learned to use one 'material' ID with multiple vertex color ID's. The vertex color method was faster but it doesn't separate the different elements into Texture Set meshes.

I have no idea what you're talking about. There is a difference between UV unwrapping and creating an ID Mask using Vertex or Material IDs.

This is what I'm after
FF to 5:30...

3D Studio MAX - ID Mapping for Substance
https://youtu.be/uvPBNyak0D4?t=330