Author Topic: Material is completely different in Unity (Substance Designer)  (Read 201 times)

I don't know what's wrong with the substance plugin. When I publish the .sbar file into unity, there is a substantial difference between unity and substance. Not the lightning but the texture generation. I opened and closed both unity and substance. I updated the plugin. I tried everything.


What it looks like in Substance:
https://imgur.com/lRQysxD


What it looks like inside Unity Engine:
https://imgur.com/RX62NNd


(Screenshots:)
https://imgur.com/a/be1GpNi


I've been getting these weird results all day long. I can export textures individually but I prefer to use .sbar because it's file size is much lower.

Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 05:22:02 pm

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

Substance Integrations – such as the Unity plugin – use the SSE2 version of the Substance Engine, which runs on the CPU and can generate different results from the Direct3D version, which runs on the GPU and is the default in Substance Designer.

First, I suggest checking the correct SBSAR is being used in Unity, then switching to the SSE2 version of the Substance Engine in Substance Designer. You may do this by using the Switch Engines... option in the Tools menu, or by pressing the F9 key. Check the results of your graph when using this version.

If you are using any bitmaps in your graph, make sure the Output Size parameter for all Bitmap nodes is set to the Absolute mode, or the bitmaps will be stored at 256*256 resolution in the published SBSAR.

I hope this is helpful. Feel free to let me know the results of following these steps.

Best regards,
Luca
QA Analyst
Substance Designer Team

Thanks that resolved my issue! Even though it's terribly slow, it looks the same in unity. So I've got another question. I'm thinking about exporting outputs into Unity while using the Direct3D engine in Substance. What do I lose by not using the .sbar file inside Unity? (Except the control over variables)

Hello,

I am glad the issue could be resolved!

By exporting the outputs as images from Substance Designer, you lose exactly what you mentioned: the ability to procedurally generate the textures in Unity by tweaking the values exposed in the SBSAR.

Depending on the image format used in the export, a slight loss of quality may occur. You can find options for each export image format in the General tab of the Project section in the Preferences window, located in the Edit menu.

Also, the Substance plugin will automatically adjust the Normal Format for the Normal map generated by the SBSAR to match the format used in Unity. If you use images exported from Substance Designer instead, make sure to set the Normal Format to OpenGL to have matching normals in Unity.

This setting can be easily set with the Default Normal Map Format option, just above the export image format options mentioned above. This should impact all new Normal nodes, 3D View and Bakers options. That being said, I recommend double checking these to make sure there are no inconsistencies.

Best regards,
Luca
QA Analyst
Substance Designer Team