Author Topic: Normal Maps appear flat post GPU and SD update  (Read 6212 times)

Not sure what the problem is here, one day I'm working and practicing on heads and clothing, next day all my normal appear flat.
I have plenty of models I have been working on over the last few weeks, low polygonal heads and chest probably around 150k or so faces, then my high polygonal meshes for my normal maps have anywhere from 1.8 to 2.8 million faces. All was well with everything from environment to human models but now since updating to 4.6(and my NVidia driver) all my normal come out flat for my higher polygonal meshes, nothing in my method has changed, I've rolled back my driver and went back to 4.5.2 and .1 but nothing seems to be fixing the problem

The first picture was just a screenshot to show that the bakes were working fine a few days ago(I seem to have overwritten the working normal trying to convince myself there was something wrong with my meshes not the programs. whoops)
Second is a normal from low polygonal mesh
Third is bumping the faces up about 3 times over and adding detail
Fourth is same mesh subdivided once

I usually use .obj and they've worked consistently for months even the meshes and higher polygonal meshes I used prior to this seem to bake out these normal any help would be greatly appreciated I'm more of the artistic type and started programming in July so I'm a thrown for a little bit of a curve here

gpu specs 2 way sli 780ti, tried removing one already driver is 344.75
Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 03:03:41 am

I´m not sure what´s the cause of your problems; but the first normal map shows that your Lowpoly has hard normals; you should soften the normals before baking - I think there´s also a checkbox for that purpose in the baking window

I´m not sure what´s the cause of your problems; but the first normal map shows that your Lowpoly has hard normals; you should soften the normals before baking - I think there´s also a checkbox for that purpose in the baking window

Oh yes I usually put alot more care, time, and effort into my models. I would've posted the normal from the mesh I was already done with but without putting much thought into it I reopened the substance save in SD and I re-baked all of the maps without changing the output directory to try and see if it was a software issue or something with my newer meshes. The normals I posted were just from a quick bust with 20k faces or so. I'm going to try a bunch of different methods today to try an get it working, I've read about problems with scale factors on fbx but that was fixed, ill try baking them out in blender and see the results. Kind of just up the creek without a paddle here

So new Update, normal map baking is not working inside of blender either, I've tried every output method possible and nothing seems to get it working
I turned off the diffuse to see what the problem is, the picture is actually a low poly mesh I'm just not getting any detail from it whatsoever. I've turned the rear and frontal distance all the way up to 1 and everything in between with no luck

If you can share your scene I can give it a look :)

If you can share your scene I can give it a look :)

What exactly do you need? Meshes, settings, bakes?

The .sds scene with its dependencies (meshes).

It's easier if from Designer you just right-click on your package (in the Eplorer Tab), and choose "Export with dependencies..."
That will collect all the files that you're using in your Designer scene.

The .sds scene with its dependencies (meshes).

It's easier if from Designer you just right-click on your package (in the Eplorer Tab), and choose "Export with dependencies..."
That will collect all the files that you're using in your Designer scene.

Quick update, not sure what fixed it if anything. Just had a couple optional updates to 8.1 Pro I installed for no reason, suddenly things work again, somewhat. I was setting up a package to send with the mesh I originally had the problems with, and I was being fairly thorough with it too, didn't make any alterations to my mesh, didn't do anything differently, used the same settings I have always used, but it worked this time, with a few things that didn't.

So I included all the files and bakes I made, it seems when I try to bake model information directly from the higher polygonal mesh it comes out wonky.

all of the lower polygonal meshes resources were baked using the higher polygonal mesh like I've always done, all of the higher polygonal meshes were baked using themselves as resources but turned out flat. Thought it may be a problem with my meshes not being joined before I exported them so included joined and unjoined models but both worked the same. Another weird coincidence is that baking maps inside of blender worked first try this morning also, which was not working for the past few days.

only difference in maps is that my goggles mesh bakes were done with .015 rear and frontal rather than .01