Author Topic: Instance Across Texture Sets with Masking?  (Read 879 times)

Hi there,

I would love to be able to instance across texture sets with masking. Here's why;

Imagine you have to make a huge ground plane. You might have four UV sets after breaking it up in to four pieces.

Each quadrang has a 4k texture. You want common elements and fixed seams across each quadrant of the ground plane so it looks like one huge 16k map, but you want to mask them differently, e.g., Same grass, dirt, flowers, etc.. So, when you make changes to the grass, dirt, or anything, this updates on all maps and all texture sets, but the masking is different. Quadrant 2 will have a different grass distribution from quadrants 1, 3, and 4.

Is this possible? This would really be an amazing feature. I can seemingly instance between texture sets but I cannot mask them independently (from what I can see). Simple painted masks, nothing fancy yet.

Thanks!

DB

there is 2 workaround for this.
method 1 ---- If you throw the instance into a group, and put the mask on the group you have the ability to only affect that UDIM tile.

method 2 ---- Do not add a mask to the source initially, add it to the instances instead. If you need to mask the source Udim set, just group it and give it a mask. This one requires more planning ahead.

Both of these methods works, but takes a lot of manual work.