Author Topic: Suddenly when drawing in masks I can only remove color  (Read 206 times)

Hey there!

To begin with I would like to say I am quite a beginner when it comes to Substance. I've been working with it for roughly a year now but I never encountered the problem I have right now.

So, whenever I draw in my mask it only removes color, but I can't add any. That little sphere showcasing what the material is going to look like has turned black in all my masks. I made sure that I am in drawing mode and not accidentally in the eraser mode. One of my layers for example is completely red, but when I try to draw in more red color on the surface, it only removes the color I had painted on before.

I have reinstalled the software multiple times. The problem started yesterday and after turning on and off some of the masks (at that point I was really desperate) it suddenly started to work again. But today, about half an hour into my session, it stopped working again.

Thank you for your help.
Kind regards,
Dean

Here is my log file

Are you able to reproduce the issue all the time or is it random ?
Does it happen in other projects ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

The problem appears randomly. But it seems consistent across my projects because I have tried going back to an older save several times, same problem there.

If you can find a way to reproduce it often we can look into it. I know this bug had some occurrence in the past, but we never found a way to reproduce it internally even after many tries.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Is there a way I can send you my project? Right now it is about 6GB, which I am guessing is too big to be sent through any channel.

If you can find a way to reproduce it often we can look into it. I know this bug had some occurrence in the past, but we never found a way to reproduce it internally even after many tries.

So, I've tried using older versions of Substance Painter now, but when I tried loading my project it immediately crashed.
Then I tried updating my GPU driver as I realized it was slightly outdated. Unfortunately, that didn't do anything either. I am at a point where I just have to accept that this is where I am done with texturing my model because I simply can't work on this project anymore.

UPDATE: I found a way to fix the problem! I don't know what triggers it, but I have actually found a way to fix it. Stupid enough of me that I have only tried this now here is the solution:

Simply create a new fill layer, put a black mask on it, and draw in the color of your choice. This simple process "debugs" all the other layers.

Like I said, I haven't found a way to trigger the bug, but I do remember that last time it started when I tried to erase some of the masking on one of the fill layers I created.