Author Topic: How to uniquely color faces?  (Read 147 times)

Hi folks,

I've only been using Substance Painter for a couple of hours, so please excuse the complete noobiness of this question!

Please cast you eyes on the image below. This is just a bit of test geometry created in Blender.

Imagine i want to bring this geo into SP, and then i want to assign a material to it. Ok, i can do all that no problem.

But then imagine i want to give each face a subtly different color. Let's say not a random color, but different shades of cream for example. Kinda like how Chris Foss would give his spaceship's panels all a slightly different hue.

So my question is: what is the workflow required to do this? Do i need to assign every single face in Blender with it's own material before exporting the FBX? Or is there a way in Substance painter to do this? (so, one global material plus individual color per face)

Thanks, hopefully in advance, any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 11:18:27 am

You either make an ID map, or you manually create the mask and use Polygon Fill for your mask by faces.

https://docs.substance3d.com/spdoc/id-142213446.html

https://docs.substance3d.com/spdoc/polygon-fill-34275386.html

Thanks!

You said: "You either make an ID map......" ............. you mean in Blender, right?

I got it working, but it's a bit clunky because in Blender you can only manually assign a vertex color to each face, so if you've got for example 100 faces in your model, it's not really do-able.

Anyway, if there are any Blender users reading this and have any suggestions as to how to most efficiently prepare the model show in the OP, please fire away!

You don't have to use vertex colors, you can use materials. I normally use materials in Blender for all my ID maps.

Alrighty!....... can one assign unique materials to a large number of faces in blender automatically? (yeah, sorry, i know this isn't a Blender forum, but as we're talking about it!)

Alrighty!....... can one assign unique materials to a large number of faces in blender automatically? (yeah, sorry, i know this isn't a Blender forum, but as we're talking about it!)

You can assign by selection yes. If you want a more random selection and material creation in one shot then you can do it by scripting the process and in the Scripting Tab just run your python script.

Ok, cheers for the help, i'll get over to the blender forum with this!