Author Topic: Critical blocker bug in Substance Unity plugin  (Read 1193 times)

Hello, I am using the latest Substance Untiy Plugin and I have encountered a very critical bug that is blocking my project.

Basically each time when I clean my unity project's library folder and do a recompile, and before unity editor GUI got opened, it always crash on almost any sbsar files I made/downloaded, to workaround that issue I have to delete all the sbsar files in project then recompile, then move those files back then manually link everything...  that is super annoying and basically make the whole plugin values a lot less with this bug. Does anyone having similar issue like this? Can someone from substance help to fix or show workarounds for this issue?

I have attached a crash report (I am using unity HDRP btw, if that matters) with the substance plugin installed in it already. The substance plugin version i am using is 2.5.1 and the unity I am using is 2020.1.0b8. I also have a simple crash test project but it is too big to attach, so I attached couple sbsar files.

I would really appreciate any kind of help. Thanks!

Hello, I am using the latest Substance Untiy Plugin and I have encountered a very critical bug that is blocking my project.

Basically each time when I clean my unity project's library folder and do a recompile, and before unity editor GUI got opened, it always crash on almost any sbsar files I made/downloaded, to workaround that issue I have to delete all the sbsar files in project then recompile, then move those files back then manually link everything...  that is super annoying and basically make the whole plugin values a lot less with this bug. Does anyone having similar issue like this? Can someone from substance help to fix or show workarounds for this issue?

I have attached a crash report (I am using unity HDRP btw, if that matters) with the substance plugin installed in it already. The substance plugin version i am using is 2.5.1 and the unity I am using is 2020.1.0b8. I also have a simple crash test project but it is too big to attach, so I attached couple sbsar files.

I would really appreciate any kind of help. Thanks!

Hey @ruudyliu ,

I was able to reproduce the issue (it seems to happen with any Substance files, not just the ones you have provided). I remember that we fixed this issue in a previous version of the plugin, but something may have changed on ours or on Unity's side. I'll put a ticket in for this for it to be investigated further.

Hi keston, thanks for replying. Yes, I later tested a bit more and it happened to pretty much all of the sbsar files I have made or downloaded.

To share a bit more, if I change my sbsar files in the project to use the default Unity Standard shader instead of the HDRP's Lit/Tessellation shader then it won't crash when recompile(but it won't make sense to use standard shader in HDRP pipeline anyway so that is not a workaround). I tried this after I checked the crash log and saw the the SubstanceImporter class kept complaining that Lit/Tessellation is an unsupported type. Not sure whether that is some useful clue or not.

Thanks a lot for start investigating on this!

Hi keston, thanks for replying. Yes, I later tested a bit more and it happened to pretty much all of the sbsar files I have made or downloaded.

To share a bit more, if I change my sbsar files in the project to use the default Unity Standard shader instead of the HDRP's Lit/Tessellation shader then it won't crash when recompile(but it won't make sense to use standard shader in HDRP pipeline anyway so that is not a workaround). I tried this after I checked the crash log and saw the the SubstanceImporter class kept complaining that Lit/Tessellation is an unsupported type. Not sure whether that is some useful clue or not.

Thanks a lot for start investigating on this!

Ah ok I see! This is great info to add to the ticket, thanks! It sounds like it may have to do with how our plugin interacts HDRP (and maybe URP as well, I'll have to check also) in combination with deleting the Library folder.