Author Topic: How to export .obj/.fbx model with several materials?  (Read 51945 times)

Hi,

I'm fresh to use Substance Painter and I'm viewing tutorials from DigitalTutors that he imports an .fbx with multiple materials.

How to export that kind of  .fbx with multiple materials from 3D softwares? As I'm using Cinema4D, I try to export a complex obj with two parts, but the materials combined to one after I import it to Substance Painter. So the materials are not solo ones.

Regards,

Pendave

Did you name your materials with different names before exporting?

Yes, each name for the materials are not same.

Could you tell me the work flow for exporting multiple materials 3D model?

Should I use 3dsMax, Maya instead of Cinema4D? How about Zbrush?

I just try .3ds format, amazingly it works as multiple materials now.

Whynot .obj and .fbx ?

When will there be the plugin for Cinema 4D?

I just try .3ds format, amazingly it works as multiple materials now.

Whynot .obj and .fbx ?

When will there be the plugin for Cinema 4D?

This should work with OBJ and FBX. I'm not familiar with c4D, but it looks like the material IDs are not exported. On the export options is the a setting for material groups? In Maya's FBX, you need to have materials checked or it won't export the material IDs.

We are working on a substance plugin for c4D. However, the plugin would not be used for Substance Painter. For Painter, you would export obj or fbx.

Can you post the example OBJ and FBX? I can take a look at the file.

Cheers,

Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

.obj .fbx .3ds .x formats exported from C4D R16

https://www.sendspace.com/file/hwo5mh

Please download the package.

.x format is okay to display 2 parts/materials after imported, but the UV is messed up.

.3ds works fine.

Out of those, the 3DS version is exported correctly and has 2 materials in 1 Texture Set.

Any of those programs should work including Blender, Hexagon, etc...

If the 3DS version is working for you the best at moment I'd stick with that.

Substance Painter doesn't export the mesh, it is mainly for texture painting/creation of the existing mesh you've imported and exporting the individual mesh texture channel maps.

The part before import such as the UV Mapping needs to be handled in the 3rd party modeling program before importing into Substance Painter or things might look funny or be missing when painting.

You might try asking the Cinema 4D forums or plugin forum if you're using a third party FBX plugin.

Multiple materials on object in Cinema 4D:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvTHcBBgBCk

I don't know what version you're using of FBX Exporter, but if dialog shows like the attached image make sure the Textures and Materials option is checkmarked during export, and try the embed option as well and see if that works too.

If the FBX version of the export is old and you're still having problems but want the FBX version of the file to work with in Substance Painter, Autodesk has the free FBX Converter you can download, it goes up to FBX 2013.3:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=22694909
Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 01:15:01 am

SOLVED! :)
Guys! if you still have this problem exporting OBJ files from Cinema 4D to Substance Painter, the solution is very simple:
Export OBJ using Riptide Pro (plug for C4D) that's it. ;D it works!

Hi Andres.
i wonder why, but i never have luck to can import a obj or fbx from C4D into SP…

i dont know why…
i have a simple mesh with on Material attached… thats it...

did you have special settings inside RiptidePro?

Hi, :)
I don't know why this happen but the OBJ exporter inside of C4D is really bad, that's why i always use Riptide Pro (default settings) it save independently .OBJ files and .MTL files to use it on SP.
Keep in mind that Cinema 4D doesn't export materials only the mesh.
You should try this plugin (free trial) to see if this help you.

I'm having hard times trying to import a file with multiple materials from C4D.

I've tried Riptide, by default all edges in OBJ are soft:

but whenever I'm exporting normals, they look broken

and Painter freezes when I'm trying to paint over those.
3ds doesn't preserve normals either.

Does anyone know the way to preserve both normals and mat IDs when exporting from Cinema 4d?

Make sure you save out your .obj model with the .mtl file also

I'm having hard times trying to import a file with multiple materials from C4D.

I've tried Riptide, by default all edges in OBJ are soft:
[img width=400 height=119*]http://take.ms/PFvcu[/img]

but whenever I'm exporting normals, they look broken

and Painter freezes when I'm trying to paint over those.
3ds doesn't preserve normals either.

Does anyone know the way to preserve both normals and mat IDs when exporting from Cinema 4d?

I will need the obj file and your log file to be able to help you.
Log file : https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Exporting+the+log+file
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Hello guys,
I'm new in the forum !
I'm a C4D user, I read this topic, if you didn't find a solution, here the steps for exporting the model from C4D to SP:
save selections of parts that will have different materials
apply the materials to each selection
export in fbx v 7.2 - 2012 (last version of fbx doesn't work)
As you can see in the image, when you import your model in SP, it will be subdivided in the parts you want

I'm going to re-open this, seems that the texture is still coming up as one instead of multiple texture sets in SP from cinema 4d R20
I only way it worked was "random colors" from an obj which then were not the material color names.see screen shot "randomColor1" etc .. 

in fbx only way to get things to work was to check vertex colors on.. then it separated the geo by material from c4d.
Any ideas.. seems to effect the mac version of painter not the windows one - latest painter build. and R20 c4d