Author Topic: No UV coordinates.  (Read 877 times)

Hi folks, just tried importing some textures created in Painter into Keyshot Pro 9.3.  I got the error message no uv coordinates for material could be found.  Any idea on what I am doing wrong.
Regards,
Raymond.

How did you make the UVs for the mesh you're working with?

I am just doing as I would as normally  in Painter ie,  import the obj then  texture it as needed then export to Keyshot Pro 9.3.  Yesterday was the first time I had tried Keyshot with Painter so obviously there is something else I need to do before exporting the textures.

I am just doing as I would as normally  in Painter ie,  import the obj then  texture it as needed then export to Keyshot Pro 9.3.  Yesterday was the first time I had tried Keyshot with Painter so obviously there is something else I need to do before exporting the textures.

I'll rephrase my question. Are you Unwrapping your mesh prior to importing into Painter, or are you using Painter's Auto UV Unwrap option?

I am un wrapping using the Auto unwrap in Painter, then applying the textures. Then export the textures into Keyshot Pro.  I did notice just now that Keyshot can un wrap,  will have a try with that and see how that works. The model is just a simple cube with a hole through it  for me to test, so it is nothing complex.

I am un wrapping using the Auto unwrap in Painter, then applying the textures. Then export the textures into Keyshot Pro.  I did notice just now that Keyshot can un wrap,  will have a try with that and see how that works. The model is just a simple cube with a hole through it  for me to test, so it is nothing complex.

If you unwrap using Substance Painter you also must export the mesh from Painter to retain those UVs, as UVs are not exported with texture sets. If you don't use the UVs from Painter your textures wont match.

Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 07:33:46 am

AhHa , I'm with you now. Never knew about that. Will go try again.  Many thanks for your help with this.
Regards.

Partial success, doesn't quite match the texture location on the actual model but its a start.  Might just be a case of trying to alter the texture location in Keyshot.

Partial success, doesn't quite match the texture location on the actual model but its a start.  Might just be a case of trying to alter the texture location in Keyshot.

Can you provide the Painter file? Or provide the exported mesh (from the same instance where you exported the textures), and provide the textures?

Out of curiosity if you make a new Painter file, import the mesh you exported with UVs (don't check Auto Unwrap), re-import your exported textures as apply them to a fill layer, do they match in Painter? If not, you did something wrong or the unwrap isn't correct.

I've also never once heard of UVs not matching from importing into Keyshot. I'm also unsure as to why you're not just unwrapping prior to using Painter? In the event you have to mark sharps and split UV shells, how would you do so using the auto tool anyhow? Seems counter-productive and limiting.

I would send the file but trying to attach pics or anything else on here is hit and miss.  I un wrap in Painter because it is a complex model and I certainly would not know where to begin trying to un wrap in Blender or other such software.  I will have to work up to that stage.   Split uv shells, Sharps ect ?  I will have to eventually work up to that.  I think my biggest problem is I am so used to Brep from the Mcad software which generates precise data,  once I get into Vrep...  fish out of water.  I will get there i'm sure of that.  I have already had some good success in the more simple parts  Would post some pics for your thoughts but as I said it's hit and miss and I have enough frustrations without adding more :)

I would send the file but trying to attach pics or anything else on here is hit and miss.  I un wrap in Painter because it is a complex model and I certainly would not know where to begin trying to un wrap in Blender or other such software.  I will have to work up to that stage.   Split uv shells, Sharps ect ?  I will have to eventually work up to that.  I think my biggest problem is I am so used to Brep from the Mcad software which generates precise data,  once I get into Vrep...  fish out of water.  I will get there i'm sure of that.  I have already had some good success in the more simple parts  Would post some pics for your thoughts but as I said it's hit and miss and I have enough frustrations without adding more :)

You can upload to Dropbox or Google Drive and I'll take a look at the file as I'm curious to know why the UVs are not working.

Did you try to re-import the mesh and textures into Painter? If they display normally but not in Keyshot then some other issue is going on.

I don't have google drive or Dropbox.  I use pCloud  If that will do.  I can easily put the model and the Painter file into a folder that you can access when you have time.  Just let me know and I will set that up and send a link for you. Can also put in the pics of the parts that I have rendered well [ I think ] and you can give me the verdict on them . Thanks for your help / Patience with this.  There is so much to learn for me, it is a case of little steps lead eventually to big ones [ hopefully ]

I have time, send me the link we can you and I'll look into this.

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=kZylWUkZQuMBEQ50ddkRVya1bRxY2j7rmOdy  Here is the link to a p Cloud folder. I have put in the 3 pics of my first attempts,  and the painter file from the simple keyshot part and a screenshot of what it looks like in Keyshot. Also the complex assembly of a motor [ complex for me ] that I have started to texture. Give me your valued opinion.  Many thanks for you help, it is much appreciated.

I'm very confused on your UV issue. I checked both Painter files and I see no issue with getting them into Keyshot.

Test 1.spp

Painter

Keyshot

Siemens motor good red.spp

Painter

Keyshot

Works fine without problem. Is there something I'm missing? If your UVs didn't match properly then your paint edge wear would look different in position between Painter and Keyshot, which they do not.