Author Topic: Substance in 3ds Max 2.3.4  (Read 499 times)

Hello everyone,

Today we have released Substance in 3ds Max 2.3.4, which is a patch release containing some minor improvements and some bug fixes.

2.3.4 Release:
  • Added workflow option for the PBR (Spec/Gloss) shader for 3ds Max 2021
  • Added workflow option for the PBR (Metal/Rough) shader for 3ds Max 2021
  • Workflow scripts no longer fail when moving nodes between different views in the SME
  • Setting a relative path in the asset tracker will now work
  • If an output that a workflow script expects is missing, it is now logged to the console
  • Added About dialog, containing information about the plugin, along with used libraries.
  • About dialog has a 'Copy to Clipboard' button, like Substance Painter, Substance in Maya or the Substance Launcher, allowing diagnostic information to be saved.

This version is released for 3ds Max 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021.

Cheers,
Galen Helfter
Software Engineer, Integrations
Maya, 3ds Max and Core Libraries

i just saw a dangerous feature /bug :

1. create a material with substance inside
2. change substance output size to something not default
3. create a copy of this material
4. everything should be the same, but it is not.... it`s completely resetet
 -output size will be resettet to 512x512
 -basic parameter,Noise,cordinates ,... are also resettet
5. Material is totaly different and not a copy anymore

would be nice to have a info tab (like in the old version ) to see which version i have installed....

There's an about window added in the dropdown at the top. This includes lots of information, including the version, the build number, etc. It works just like the one in Substance Painter and the Maya plugin.

Duplication can have some odd behavior. There are some things that were set up there to work with renderers that make that difficult to fix without breaking interoperability with them.
Software Engineer, Integrations
Maya, 3ds Max and Core Libraries

in the substance 1 plugin, i had gamma corrections to set and the resolution is limited to 2k , but the rest is working :/
just compared those 2 (i updated the dlls in the max directory manually, like in old times)

Hello everyone,

Today we have released Substance in 3ds Max 2.3.4, which is a patch release containing some minor improvements and some bug fixes.

2.3.4 Release:
  • Added workflow option for the PBR (Spec/Gloss) shader for 3ds Max 2021
  • Added workflow option for the PBR (Metal/Rough) shader for 3ds Max 2021
  • Workflow scripts no longer fail when moving nodes between different views in the SME
  • Setting a relative path in the asset tracker will now work
  • If an output that a workflow script expects is missing, it is now logged to the console
  • Added About dialog, containing information about the plugin, along with used libraries.
  • About dialog has a 'Copy to Clipboard' button, like Substance Painter, Substance in Maya or the Substance Launcher, allowing diagnostic information to be saved.

This version is released for 3ds Max 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021.

Cheers,
Galen Helfter

Fantastic tool. But I cannot use it easily for my workflow which is making textured OBJs for full color 3D printing

1- when I open Substance source from 3ds Max and select my material I can send to 3ds Max with the icon available in Substance source. Substance source downloads and gives a notification that it has been sent to 3ds. But I have no clue how to pick it up in 3DS Max. Is it working? Nothing in the sample slots or in substance folder from 3ds max

2- when I manually download the Substance sbsar and then import it in the Slate Material editor and with the Substance tool generate the material to Arnold. I cannot export it to OBJ. The OBJ exporter does not export the maps.
The long workaround is to create default materials with the scanline renderer set in stead of Arnold. For this I need to bake and export the bitmaps from within the Substance map first and then pick it up as bitmap lookup in legacy from the other tree.

Please advice. I understand that no baked maps are available when using the configurable substance map. But maybe I am something missing and my knowledge is limited?