Author Topic: On Demand Material Remapping  (Read 2454 times)

Hello there,

I'm new to Substance and I'm using Substance Materials inside Unity.
One small issue I have is this:

I assign substance materials in 3ds max and when I import the fbx into Unity, I would like to re-assign the materials with the "on demand" function inside Unity.

Inside the fbx-mesh I gave the material the same name, but unity can't find them when I try to re-assign them. I found out that inside the substance archive (.sbar), the material name gets a "mat." prefix. So I did the same in 3ds max, hoping Unity would have less problems finding the materials. No success. Is this because they are inside the .sbar-archive or do you have a hint on how to make this work?

Thank you

Is there really no one who needs to replace materials?

Hello there,

I'm new to Substance and I'm using Substance Materials inside Unity.
One small issue I have is this:

I assign substance materials in 3ds max and when I import the fbx into Unity, I would like to re-assign the materials with the "on demand" function inside Unity.

Inside the fbx-mesh I gave the material the same name, but unity can't find them when I try to re-assign them. I found out that inside the substance archive (.sbar), the material name gets a "mat." prefix. So I did the same in 3ds max, hoping Unity would have less problems finding the materials. No success. Is this because they are inside the .sbar-archive or do you have a hint on how to make this work?

Thank you

Hey @SFXPZ ,

At the moment, unfortunately this will not work. Fbx needs to understand how to translate the scene into its own format. Fbx does not know what a Substance node is in the scene, and so it normally skips over it. So it goes:
3ds Max <-> Fbx <-> Fbx <-> Unity
So we would need to do more than just on the 3ds Max and Unity plugin side to make that work.

Hey @keston

Thanks for your reply. Makes sense. I guess there's just no workaround right now. Thanks again.

Considering this is still a problem, the solution is quite straight forward so I thought would post. Open the substance material stack and click on the first entry (the material). Ctrl-D to duplicate. This creates a duplicate material with the same name that sits outside the stack, on demand can see this and will work as expected.