Author Topic: Ability to rotate environment vertically  (Read 3505 times)

One of my bigger pain points with Substance is the bottom of my model being too dark. I understand I could import a custom environment with a bright bottom, but it would be great if we could rotate the environment vertically (??) as well.

I'm bumping this thread because I came to request this exact feature. I'm currently texturing the bottoms of some characters' shoes and lighting from a low angle would make this a lot easier!

I'll bump this too, it's a huge pain in the neck to see the underside of things, especially when trying to check how normals are looking and I need the specular reflection to do this.

I agree on this feature. Right now I have to bring in a duplicate mesh that is rotated 90 degrees just to see it in the light.

Could you flip the Environment map vertically in photoshop and save it as [filename]_upsideDown or something similar?  Then you could still use the rotation on it, but the sun would be in the lower half of the map.  I haven't tried it...just a thought.

Just noticed this thread, Me being new to Painter [ only been using it a week or so ] My only gripes with it relates to the lack of flexibility in the environment. more specifically only being able to rotate it in 1 axis. That ... coupled with the inability to rotate the model seperate from the environment is a BIG downside.  So.. rather that abandon the software [ which I love using ] I have 2 choices,   either an external render engine which I dont want to do if possible because I like Iray. or... look for some way of giving more flexibility to the environment. so when I saw this thread I went and tried to "Flip " the HDRi and I  can confirm it works great.   So my task today is now to flip all my HDRi Env's by 90deg each time and save them. [ which will give me a choice of 4 for each one ]  I'm certainly pleased I saw this thread.  :)

flip your hdr map with photoshop, and save it into (Program Files\Allegorithmic\Substance Painter\resources\shelf\allegorithmic\environments\Exterior) as a "name" flip.hdr