Author Topic: Adding to the Match by Mesh Name Issues - Hack obj edit fix  (Read 770 times)

I have always used objs as my high poly models to bake with Match By Mesh Name.  Now with 2020 it seems that it now broken, though my coworker said fbx works fine still.  This is highly problematic since I want to continue to use individual objs as my highs.

The only workaround Ive found is going into the objs from zbrush in a text editor and changing the name:

# File exported by ZBrush version 2019
# www.zbrush.com
g ZBrushPolyMesh3D

to

# File exported by ZBrush version 2019
# www.zbrush.com
g mesh_high

using zbrush 2019, exporting with Grp off

this has to be done everytime you export your obj and for heavy files opening can take a while (sublime text is pretty fast)

I think they need to add a feature that allows the mesh name matching to look at the OBJ files name instead of looking for the name designated in the file. I am having to open all my high poly OBJ files in a text editor and search for the specific naming line (sometimes takes 10+ minutes to do) change the name and save the OBJ file.

It's such a hassle, I'm already naming the OBJ files with the "_high" in the file name, just look at that, not the OBJ code or whatever.

@thedean91 This a regression and we are currently working on a fix internally. It should come with our next bugfix version.

@aaronmandell858 Apart form the regression, this is already the existing behavior, see: https://docs.substance3d.com/bake/matching-by-name-182256530.html#MatchingbyName-High-polymeshesfromzBrush
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

@thedean91 This a regression and we are currently working on a fix internally. It should come with our next bugfix version.

@aaronmandell858 Apart form the regression, this is already the existing behavior, see: https://docs.substance3d.com/bake/matching-by-name-182256530.html#MatchingbyName-High-polymeshesfromzBrush

Thank you for the reply. I should clarify, this existing behavior is unfortunately not viable for ZBrushCore users. The ability to disable grouping at OBJ export is unavailable in ZBrushCore.

I have looked for ways to export from ZBrushCore without including groups, but it seems to not exist in any of the preferences or settings.