Author Topic: problem with masks and substance Effects  (Read 2960 times)

Im seeing it I add a white mask and then a substance effect to the mask, I can subtract from the mask by painting black.  But If I set my brush to white, I cannot add white to areas that the substance effect has added black.  The inverse is true if I add a black mask then a subatnce effect.

Im seeing it I add a white mask and then a substance effect to the mask, I can subtract from the mask by painting black.  But If I set my brush to white, I cannot add white to areas that the substance effect has added black.  The inverse is true if I add a black mask then a subatnce effect.

Hi,

The best workflow in this case is to use a black layer mask. Then set the Previous Blend mode on the effect to Subtract. Now, when you paint on the layer mask with white, it will mask the effect and painting with black will reveal it again.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

thats not giving the result Im looking for and what should be expected.  I want to be able to add or subtract from the mask that the substance effect is creating.  With your  workflow, I cannot paint black into the white areas that the substance effect mask is creating.  And if I use a white mask, I cannot paint white into the black areas of the substance effect.

An easy workaround for that is to create a group. Put your layer in it and add a mask on the group. This way you will have a full control over the mask affected by the effect.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.