Author Topic: Baking normal map from exported zBrush mesh  (Read 7089 times)

Hi
I get bad results when baking normal map from mesh exported from zBrush.
I get all the faceted faces from the low resolution mesh on the map...?
I don't get that problem with xNormal or zBrush...
Is there a setting that I'm missing?
Thanks

Can you send us the meshes please (high and low) ?
(by pm if you want)

Nicolas
Thanks!
Product Manager - Allegorithmic

Hey,
Zbrush has a tendency to adapt the low res mesh while sculpting the Hi res, thus you have to store your low res shape before you sculpt, then do your sculpting, and finally before you bake at subdiv 1, you recall the original shape (I think it's store MT or another button I can't remember).

If you don't do that you will bake with a slightly modified low res.

or the other solution is to keep the slighly modified version as your new low res

or the other solution is to keep the slighly modified version as your new low res

I will always keep the modified version as the low res. In this case, it looks like the low res is not smoothed.
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

I will always keep the modified version as the low res. In this case, it looks like the low res is not smoothed.

Completely, but you know sometimes in videogames the mesh has to exactly the same is shared :-)

The base mesh that I use is the level 1 mesh from zBrush already transformed by the subdivision process of zBrush.
I'm thinking like Wes; the base mesh is not smoothed... but WHY?
If I export the meshes from zBrush to Modo and then export OBJs from Modo to SD, no problem... but from zBrush to SD... I always get this problem. How to make my base mesh smooth in SD?
Thanks
 Nicolas Wirrmann: my high resolution mesh is 326MB... can I send it with the attachments??

Hi,

I'm looking in your problem. Can you test one of the default mesh provided with zbrush to see if you are able to reproduce this problem ? Specifically by using the zproject "Earthquake.ZPR" (you can find it in the lightbox). I exported the subdivision level 2 (as my low poly) and the subdivision level 6 (as my high poly). The result via the bakers was fine on my side, let me know how it goes for you.

Here is what I got with the LP + Normal map in the 3D View :
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.