Author Topic: 3ds Max Multi Tile UVs  (Read 5729 times)

It wouldn't matter because it's not a water tight object. They're baking as individual pieces and you have both sides unwrapped.

The part you're showing as per your UV map has hard edges in the low, but soft in the high, this can produce issues.

Also make sure you're not considering environment lighting the issue.

Rotate and change it to see:

I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

Oh bugger. Something else I've overlooked... lol. Yeah, the high-poly has a lid, but it doesn't have an under-side. That would explain a lot.  ::)

Okay, I had to import the lid for the high-poly with none of the modifiers baked down and sorted out the Smoothing Groups on the under-side. Apart from a few minor glitches that need cleaning up, it's come out correct. Thanks for all your help with this. :)

Okay, I had to import the lid for the high-poly with none of the modifiers baked down and sorted out the Smoothing Groups on the under-side. Apart from a few minor glitches that need cleaning up, it's come out correct. Thanks for all your help with this. :)

No problem. Best wishes for the future!

Thank you. :)

Just a quick question: with floating geometry, such as bolts, rivets etc. does there need to be a low poly version of them as well? I tried just placing my high poly ones over the front of the lid, but they haven't baked down onto the low.

If you don't have a low poly version for the bolts you have to merge that mesh into your high poly lid, then bake down on your low poly lid because you don't have a low poly bolt for baking.

If the geometry if floating and exceeds what you would normally do with an alpha or normal stamp your results wont look good. Normal maps don't create depth, they fake it by giving an illusion of depth. If the geometry is sticking out enough then you must create a low poly version.

Would simply attaching them to the lid, so they're a part of the same mesh, work? I don't think I did that. I may have just placed them so they were sticking through.

This is the floating geo I currently have at the moment. May end making some more.

I've attached them and then done a quick test bake, but they look poor. Very low quality.

I don't know as I don't have what you have in front of me to test.

Why not convert those parts into normal stamps?

I'll experiment with making Normal stamps, but I want to see if I can get this method to work first. I've uploaded my high poly with the floating geo. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2gmimmym26gjxd1/loot_high%2B_float_geo.fbx?dl=0

I would suggest you try some test examples to learn how and why it doesn't work.

Your result would be:

I made some changes to get this:

Even so, it's not great and you cannot work with floating objects for baking unless you bring them in closer to the existing geo and merge them.

Let me try giving you the low again. I think I have a new one now to go with that high. I never had those issues on top the last time I tested it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/682a0z3gtq3ek99/loot_low.fbx?dl=0

I'm confused now... I thought you already placed the floating objects onto the high already? Or do you want me to do it and bake? I want to see a high and low where you've set up floating objects to bake.

To do it and bake. I believe I made some adjustments between the high and low whilst sorting out the interior, which could be why the tops on your examples weren't baking out right. I'm going to try it my end as well just to make sure.

This is how the top is coming out for me, which is perfectly fine:

But these are the screws I attached to the high poly's lid: