Author Topic: 3ds Max Multi Tile UVs  (Read 5347 times)

Does Substance Painter have issues with Max's Multi Tile UVs? I've noticed the extra tile sets in Substance aren't showing a light grey background compared to the first one.

Are you ticking the box on project creation to use UDIMs?
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

Is that the 'Create a texture set per UDIM tile' under New Project? If so, then no, I didn't select that.

Is that the 'Create a texture set per UDIM tile' under New Project? If so, then no, I didn't select that.

Select it and try again.

Painter doesn't support painting across UDIMs yet so this is the current workflow.

Okay, done that. Can't say I see any difference though. The other tiles still don't have a light grey box like the first. Plus my bakes are still coming out the same, which are a bit messy in parts. :-\

Okay, done that. Can't say I see any difference though. The other tiles still don't have a light grey box like the first. Plus my bakes are still coming out the same, which are a bit messy in parts. :-\

You need to provide way more information.

Can you include your high and low and I'll look at it?
Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 04:38:38 pm

Sure. I did post another thread about Shell modifiers too. It probably hasn't got anything to do with anything though, but was just curious.

High: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxjlhb9fsfo7yl7/loot_high.fbx?dl=0

Low: https://www.dropbox.com/s/682a0z3gtq3ek99/loot_low.fbx?dl=0

I'll take a look and post back. I remember this mesh from before: https://forum.substance3d.com/index.php/topic,32666.msg124665.html#msg124665

Your problem is that you're overlapping UDIMs for this piece. If you want to use MAT IDs to direct your texture sets then it is one UV set per MAT ID. Otherwise you need to select all the objects and split the UVs in the correct set up for UDIMs.

This is your current UV overview:

This is it once fixed - I removed all MAT IDs and kept the UDIM set up (Also if you keep MAT IDs it wont matter when importing into Painter as it will name each set as per the tile number 1001-1013, so keep your IDs if they mean something to you and ignore me deleting them:

Once done correctly your bakes should be okay as the UVs are no longer overlapping or missing from the correct 0-1 space.

I'll take a look and post back. I remember this mesh from before: https://forum.substance3d.com/index.php/topic,32666.msg124665.html#msg124665

Yes, I remember you helping me before. :) This is my second attempt with it. It was for a uni assignment. This one I'm planning on making the interior and basing it more closely to the Apex Legends one.

Your problem is that you're overlapping UDIMs for this piece. If you want to use MAT IDs to direct your texture sets then it is one UV set per MAT ID. Otherwise you need to select all the objects and split the UVs in the correct set up for UDIMs.

This is your current UV overview:

This is it once fixed - I removed all MAT IDs and kept the UDIM set up (Also if you keep MAT IDs it wont matter when importing into Painter as it will name each set as per the tile number 1001-1013, so keep your IDs if they mean something to you and ignore me deleting them:

Once done correctly your bakes should be okay as the UVs are no longer overlapping or missing from the correct 0-1 space.

Ahhh. Gotcha. Awesome. Thank you for looking into it. :) And at least attempting this model again, I've learnt something a little new. The Material IDs aren't crucial, no. It was a workflow we were taught in uni. Multi Tiles was something I came across whilst doing my texturing module and found them to be very useful. Figured I'd try using them for this. I would have thought, if an object has multiple tiles with its parts, that using one Material ID would be fine. But you live and learn. :)
Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 06:25:20 pm

Once Painting across UDIMs is part of Painter those workflow will be better. I've avoided UDIM workflows because I don't want to work with these limitations of working by texture set and having to manually blend between them...  :-\

This is why people use other software if they need UDIMs for film, however I'm sure this will change soon!  ;D

I might just stick to UDIMs for things like manual texturing/painting then in Photoshop etc. :)

Also, I know you can name them in Substance, but is it possible to name the tile sets so they're not called 1001, 1002 etc.? Would prefer to give them a clearer naming convention.

I'm not quite sure what you did in Blender to remove the Material IDs, but I've tried removing them in Max, re-exported the meshes, but the parts are still named in Painter and I'm still getting the same baking results when I bake out the Normals. :-\

Can you provide your new low model? Assuming the high hasn't changed which it should not have. Also I kept the same MAT IDs as well it didn't make a difference because ticking UDIMs overrides it for me.