Author Topic: Destructive Workflow  (Read 1475 times)

Please allow a destructive workflow as an alternative to a non-destructive workflow.   This is very annoying not to be able to bake my applied smart masks down in order to blur them with the smudge tool.   I don't mind if I am stuck at a certain resolution or whatever reason for not allowing destructive editing of smart masks.   Basically, the feature to edit bitmap textures destructively needs to be added.  I feel handcuffed in substance painter because I cannot directly edit imported textures or bake down smart masks.   

Please allow a destructive workflow as an alternative to a non-destructive workflow.   This is very annoying not to be able to bake my applied smart masks down in order to blur them with the smudge tool.   I don't mind if I am stuck at a certain resolution or whatever reason for not allowing destructive editing of smart masks.   Basically, the feature to edit bitmap textures destructively needs to be added.  I feel handcuffed in substance painter because I cannot directly edit imported textures or bake down smart masks.

Right now I am facing the exact same issue..... I also want to blur destructively let's say...... no way to do that...

Actually, there is.
Just create a black layer, change it blend mode to passthrough.
It will "inherit" everything its below, but working as a bitmap layer.
You can paint, blur, smudge, apply filter, masks, etc...

And the good thing: If you go back and change something below that layer, it updates live.

There should be really no excuse for not giving the people a feature to bake multiple layers into one.
If you use that feature you know what you are doing and you are fine having only one layer instead of multiple to deal with. Not having that option in a lot of cases just bloats your project and limits you sometimes, that doesn't make sense. Which i think would be a really terrible design.

absolutely agree.