Author Topic: Has anyone ever had Bake by Mesh Name not work correctly, but exploding does?  (Read 1275 times)

This actually rarely happens, but I've had a two cases in the last three years where a mesh fully broken up and named correctly will not bake when matching by mesh name _low _high. Today was the second time this has happened and consists of a bit more than fifty parts.

I had to explode the mesh to get the correct bake as the prior result would be 100% identical to not using the feature all together.

Unfortunately I cannot provide the meshes that do this due to them being someone else's IP, however I thought to see if anyone else by chance has experienced this rare occurrence? If I can duplicate it with a random mesh I'll post back, but who knows when it will occur again.

As an added note, I bake by mesh name all the time without a problem...
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

Yep, broken. Tried to go back to the 2019 versions but baking causes the application to crash instantly now. All 2020 versions have this baking issue.

It's actually quite impressive how thoroughly Allegorithmic are able to make older versions crash in different ways forcing you to maintain your subscription to get access to the newer version.

Okay so a big problem I was having was that I have a lot of duplicated objects to save UV space, and unlike previous versions this version wasn't having it and would create a bunch of errors even when doing mesh by name baking.

When importing the asset without the duplicated assets it would bake fine but ignore the mesh by name baking in the settings.
Turns out there are now multiple settings. In the bake settings you need to set by Mesh name in Common, AO and Thickness.
Seems somewhat redundant but now there are 3 separate settings where you need to set this.

Having duplicated objects, even if they occupy UVs outside the standard 0,1 UV space AND are named so they don't have _low in their name doesn't work though and is something they need to fix.

Turns out there are now multiple settings. In the bake settings you need to set by Mesh name in Common, AO and Thickness.
Seems somewhat redundant but now there are 3 separate settings where you need to set this.
It's not new, there are always been additional matching by name setting for bakers with secondary rays (Ambient Occlusion and Thickness in the case of Substance Painter). You should enable the matching

Having duplicated objects, even if they occupy UVs outside the standard 0,1 UV space AND are named so they don't have _low in their name doesn't work though and is something they need to fix.
Do you expect the meshes to be ignored during the baking process by removing the mesh prefix on some meshes ?
If so, I don't think the internal matching process works this way at all actually, I believe we load the mesh names, remove the prefixes (and everything after) and then check if they match together. So removing manually the prefix won't help. If you want them to be discarded you have to name them differently, see the examples we have in the documentation: https://docs.substance3d.com/bake/matching-by-name-182256530.html#MatchingbyName-HowMatchingByNameWorks
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.