Author Topic: Places to download models with meshes?  (Read 1820 times)

Hello all,

I am very new to substance painter, in fact I am only using the trial as I am not an artist by any means. I have no experience in Maya, Max, Mudbox, or Zbrush. However, I am interested in trying my hand at painting textures for models. Substance painter makes doing this so simple that I feel like with enough practice over a long period of time I could become talented at it. The problem is I don't know how to create 3D models by any means and I would just like to find a site of some sort that will allow me to try my hand at retexturing their already made models. I looked around for some models like an Ironman suit and found one here http://tf3dm.com/3d-model/ironman-rigged-original-model--98611.html but when I try loading the file into Substance painter nothing happens. I figured it is most likely because it doesn't have a texture map such as a specular/normal/ambient occlusion map etc.

So my question is, is there a website I can visit that will have a fully created 3D models with textures that I can play with in substance painter, and if so, are there any limitations?

Thanks a ton guys and what a awesome program you all have here!
Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 02:01:32 am

There are many models out there that you can buy, just search for ' 3d model buy download' or something like that. If you want free ones, just search for that; there are plenty of them.
If you encounter problems like not being able to use it in SP; its probably the lack off UV's. So will either need to learn how to create the UV's your self or find models that allready have UV's.

Regards, Robert

I would also add that if you want to specialize on texturing, it is good that you know at least how to make UVs, and specify faces IDs (so you have more control on your texture) as they will have a direct impact on your texture work.

May download blender for free and search for a UVs tutorial on youtube.

I've worked with 3DSMax in the past and I remember vaguely having a texturing tool in there that would create all the UV/AO/bump maps. I will have to download blender and give a whirl. Thanks for the input!