Author Topic: UE 4.24.3 Invalid Textures  (Read 221 times)

Hello everyone,

two days ago i opened my UE4 Project and saw that all Textures that were generated with sbsar's did not have any Image Informations. All other Textures were not affected. When i deactivated the Substance Plugin, the Textures went completely missing. After reactivating the Plugin, the Textures were back but again without any Image Informations.

Maybe it's my fault, after importing an sbsar in the past and finishing the adjustments within UE4, i deleted everything except for the Textures themselves and renamed them as needed. If this was the fault, why is this Problem occuring now and not in the past?

Here is an example:

But as i was reading in the epic maketplace it looks like that i am not the only one.

Hopefully some one has an answer, wish you all a nice day.

I have the same problem and that affect all my library

Hello everyone,

two days ago i opened my UE4 Project and saw that all Textures that were generated with sbsar's did not have any Image Informations. All other Textures were not affected. When i deactivated the Substance Plugin, the Textures went completely missing. After reactivating the Plugin, the Textures were back but again without any Image Informations.

Maybe it's my fault, after importing an sbsar in the past and finishing the adjustments within UE4, i deleted everything except for the Textures themselves and renamed them as needed. If this was the fault, why is this Problem occuring now and not in the past?

Here is an example:

But as i was reading in the epic maketplace it looks like that i am not the only one.

Hopefully some one has an answer, wish you all a nice day.

@Bloodfighter ,

Did you upgrade your project to the new plugin from the old plugin and this occurred? Or are you currently in the new plugin and this occurs?

The way that our plugin works with textures has changed between the old and new plugin. Renaming them might have caused them to become unlinked and have no texture information.

Can you post a detailed way to reproduce this issue?
Integrations QA Analyst

@Bloodfighter ,

Did you upgrade your project to the new plugin from the old plugin and this occurred? Or are you currently in the new plugin and this occurs?

The way that our plugin works with textures has changed between the old and new plugin. Renaming them might have caused them to become unlinked and have no texture information.

Thank you for your Answer,

Yes i assume that the update of the Plugin was the Problem, but i cant remember that i did this manualy, i think that the launcher updated the Plugin automaticly. When was the last Plugin Update? We changed the Engine Version on the 9th February but we did not run in any issue. Also last time i worked on the Projekt was 11th March, the Problem occured after that, without me doing everything.

What i did in the past was importing the sbsar into UE4, unchecked all textures that i did not needed (for example emissive), then i played with the sliders until satisfied, after that and after letting the textures finish loading, i deleted everything except for the textures and renamed them. Then i think the Update did his job.

I wasnt expecting that the textures were still linked with the Plugin.
Is there a way to change the version of the Plugin manualy?

@Bloodfighter ,

Thank you for your Answer,

Yes i assume that the update of the Plugin was the Problem, but i cant remember that i did this manualy, i think that the launcher updated the Plugin automaticly. When was the last Plugin Update? We changed the Engine Version on the 9th February but we did not run in any issue. Also last time i worked on the Projekt was 11th March, the Problem occured after that, without me doing everything.

What i did in the past was importing the sbsar into UE4, unchecked all textures that i did not needed (for example emissive), then i played with the sliders until satisfied, after that and after letting the textures finish loading, i deleted everything except for the textures and renamed them. Then i think the Update did his job.

I wasnt expecting that the textures were still linked with the Plugin.
Is there a way to change the version of the Plugin manualy?

@Bloodfighter ,

Ok, thanks for the info. I think I understand the problem.

In the old version of the plugin (4.23 and below), the Substance generated textures were in a different format. They were generated as SubstanceTexture2D. This was a custom version of the UTexture2D class used by UE4.

When we created the new version of the plugin (4.24), we changed the format that the Substance generated textures use, to the UE4 standard of UTexture2D. This means that going from a project that was created in 4.23 or below would have to upgrade to the new version of the plugin and also the new texture format in order to use sbsar files correctly.

When upgrading the plugin/UE4 version, the new Substance plugin reads the data from the existing sbsar file (in UE4 this is seen as the Substance Instance Factory and also any Substance Instance Graphs) to create new UTexture2D textures with the parameter changes etc. But since it seems that you are deleting the Substance Instance Factory and other Substance related files, the data isn't there for the new plugin to upgrade to the new texture type, resulting in the textures having no data.

I think what you are doing might work moving forward however, since the textures created by the new Substance plugin are UTexture2D. If you wanted to still delete everything, I suggest leaving the files generated by importing the .sbsar file in then upgrading the project, or by just importing the .sbsar file in the new plugin again.

Unfortunately we don't have the ability to bake textures from a .sbsar file currently in the UE4 plugin, but if you had the .sbs file, you could so this in Substance Designer and export the maps from there instead of having to import sbsar files and delete the things you don't want.

I hope I answered your question, if you have any other questions let me know! :)
Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 06:29:24 pm
Integrations QA Analyst

Ok, thanks for the info. I think I understand the problem.

In the old version of the plugin (4.23 and below), the Substance generated textures were in a different format. They were generated as SubstanceTexture2D. This was a custom version of the UTexture2D class used by UE4.

When we created the new version of the plugin (4.24), we changed the format that the Substance generated textures use, to the UE4 standard of UTexture2D. This means that going from a project that was created in 4.23 or below would have to upgrade to the new version of the plugin and also the new texture format in order to use sbsar files correctly.

When upgrading the plugin/UE4 version, the new Substance plugin reads the data from the existing sbsar file (in UE4 this is seen as the Substance Instance Factory and also any Substance Instance Graphs) to create new UTexture2D textures with the parameter changes etc. But since it seems that you are deleting the Substance Instance Factory and other Substance related files, the data isn't there for the new plugin to upgrade to the new texture type, resulting in the textures having no data.

I think what you are doing might work moving forward however, since the textures created by the new Substance plugin are UTexture2D. If you wanted to still delete everything, I suggest leaving the files generated by importing the .sbsar file in then upgrading the project, or by just importing the .sbsar file in the new plugin again.

Unfortunately we don't have the ability to bake textures from a .sbsar file currently in the UE4 plugin, but if you had the .sbs file, you could so this in Substance Designer and export the maps from there instead of having to import sbsar files and delete the things you don't want.

I hope I answered your question, if you have any other questions let me know! :)

Thank you Kreston for your help and effort in solving this problem.

Pretty interesting to know where the problem was.
I deleted the instance factory and the instance graphs because i was satisfied with the result and did not want to fight with github and his 100mb file limit. (I know i could have configured git lfs, but i was to lazy, seems like karma ;D)
I will now do it the proper way.  8)

Yes you ananswered all my questions i am completely satisfied.
Thank you Kreston and all the best