Author Topic: 2020 1.1 (6.1.1) Startup and UI Issues  (Read 1830 times)

I am experiencing a couple issues that make Painter a tad painful to use.

When launching Painter it takes ages to load - sometimes a couple minutes or more.
Once loaded the log reports these errors:
Code: [Select]
[Script] file:///C:/Users/Michael/Documents/Allegorithmic/Substance Painter/plugins/substance-source/MainTiles.qml:37:3: QML MainTiles_MyAssetsControls: Detected anchors on an item that is managed by a layout. This is undefined behavior; use Layout.alignment instead.
[Script] file:///C:/Users/Michael/Documents/Allegorithmic/Substance Painter/plugins/substance-source/MainTiles.qml:37:3: QML MainTiles_MyAssetsControls: Detected anchors on an item that is managed by a layout. This is undefined behavior; use Layout.alignment instead.
[Script] file:///C:/Users/Michael/Documents/Allegorithmic/Substance Painter/plugins/substance-source/MainCategories.qml:20:3: QML Rectangle: Detected anchors on an item that is managed by a layout. This is undefined behavior; use Layout.alignment instead.
I think the error is related to the UI layout as I have the Shelf and numerous other tabs open on a second monitor, and it will always be displayed on the main monitor (monitor 1) over the top of the main Substance Window.

There is also an issue when choosing Smart Materials in the Shelf. When first selected it takes at least 30 seconds before any of the materials get loaded for selection.

This has been happening for me since I got the update, but just been too busy to report it till now.

The UI error message is unrelated to your problem. It's coming from the Substance Source plugin which is now deprecated. We recommend to remove it and use the Substance Launcher instead or the Substance Source website.

According to your log file, the Substance Painter's shelf takes a bit more than 2 minutes to be discovered (123s). Until resources are discovered on the disk, they won't appear in the UI. 2 minutes is very long, on an SSD this step should take maximum 10 seconds if not less. On which type of hard drive is Substance Painter installed ?

The freeze/loading when opening the Smart Materials/Smart Masks mini-shelf/shelf preset is expected however. The freeze is related to the fact when look into the file to load information (metadata, thumbnail, etc.) and we access each file one after the other. Unfortunately the process is not asynchrone, which therefore blocks the rest of the program until it's done.
Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 03:33:27 pm
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Thanks for the reply :)
The drive is a normal HDD not SSD. (New SSD coming)
2 minutes before the UI loads is more than long enough to be considered a lock up. Maybe it would be best to load the UI then look for stuff on disk?

I only use Substance Launcher, Substance Source is just installed with the software.
  • How do we actually remove substance source?
  • If it is deprecated maybe good idea to make it so you actually have to enable the plug in settings for it to work?

Also the Shelf always displays on the main monitor when I open Substance Painter, but I have it set on the second monitor.
  • So Substance is not remembering the layout like it did in previous builds?
  • Is that a side affect of Substance Source plug?

Thanks for replies.

Just to report that this is still an issue, and practically renders the software unusable.

This delay is not to populate the shelf, but to actually load the UI. Task Manager reports Substance is not responding. The whole time you just get the start up logo displayed on screen.

It also takes ages to save even a simple file.

Every build seams to get worse, will there be a fix soon or do you consider this to be acceptable.

Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 03:25:48 am

Hi, not sure if your still getting the substance source error message, i had the same issue today and open the file MainCategories.qml and edited the code on line 35 to "Layout.alignment:true" which cleared the error. i think it was originally something like layout.width. not sure about the other issue's you have. 

This delay is not to populate the shelf, but to actually load the UI. Task Manager reports Substance is not responding. The whole time you just get the start up logo displayed on screen.
Can you check you don't have any conflict software installed ?
https://docs.substance3d.com/spdoc/software-conflicts-147095610.html

As for uninstalling the Substance Source plugin, you can remove it from your "Documents/Allegorithmic/Substance Painter/Plugins" folder.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.