Author Topic: Icon in layer stack to differentiate fill/paint layer  (Read 2596 times)

There should be an icon in the layer stack to differentiate a fill layer and a paint layer. Once you rename the layer there is no way to visually differentiate between the two.

Also, mask blurring option would be cool too.

thanks

leaf

Good point!

Wanted to expand my UI suggestions a bit with some graphic reference.

A: I think the object select tool doesnt really look like anything. I think it could be represented as a 3D object like in the example.

B: The tool bar here could be a lot bigger. Everything in this area is really small.

C: Differentiate between fill and paiont layer in layer stack.

D: Like B these icons really could stand to be bigger and in a different order. I placed the Fill and paint layer next to each other and made them both represented by their icons. I think the folder layer would be better placed after the paint and fill layer buttons. I also represented the delete layer with an X instead of a minus.

Just some suggestions.

cheers

leaf

sorry, D got messed up here is what its supposed to look like.

Wanted to expand my UI suggestions a bit with some graphic reference.

A: I think the object select tool doesnt really look like anything. I think it could be represented as a 3D object like in the example.

B: The tool bar here could be a lot bigger. Everything in this area is really small.

C: Differentiate between fill and paiont layer in layer stack.

D: Like B these icons really could stand to be bigger and in a different order. I placed the Fill and paint layer next to each other and made them both represented by their icons. I think the folder layer would be better placed after the paint and fill layer buttons. I also represented the delete layer with an X instead of a minus.

Just some suggestions.

cheers

leaf

A. Agree, Some might think its actually a laso select icon, I like the 3D image.

B. Agree, from a usability standpoint, buttons that are clicked as much as those shouldn't really have dead spot click areas in the tool bar parent like they do. Just workflow, subconscious things.

C. Totally agree, more time wasted trying remember OR recognize whether its a fill or paint layer.

D. Agree, from a usability standpoint, these high traffic buttons need to train muscle memory. When they look like everything else in the UI, its harder for the brain to train itself.

And the "-" symbol, I also think this is a bad choice, most applications use that symbol as "collapse" not remove, the "X" is the common remove symbol.

I do understand they have a common metric for buttons in their UI, but this is a great opportunity to dial up the work flow and give focus to the really used parts of the UI.

Nice list!

Mike

Good points guys, thanks for the feedback!