Author Topic: Not really sure where to begin for this texture  (Read 1041 times)

I'm making a sandstone brick pattern based on reference photos from a sandstone wall in a city. What I notice is that there are a bunch of different varieties of unique elements that any brick can have, but not every brick has, so I started making those, let's call them Cracks, Erosion, Dents, Pores and Mold.

Baiscally, I want to make it so that these varieties will each pick random bricks to apply themselves to. Meaning that a single brick can have all of these 5 different varieties, and can also have none of them, and most of them will have 1 or 2 randomly picked varietes, for example Cracks and Dents.

I just don't know how to do this, and where to begin learning how to do it. I'm basically just asking for a tutorial which tackles a similar challenge.

Hello Bambinator,

Any luck on finding these kinds of tutorials, I'm on the same boat, I need to create a lot of textures with different mortars, colors, variations, dents, pores, etc.
thanks

I've been putting it off and focusing on other things so no sadly. But if you want to select random bricks, you can move your brick pattern through a flood fill node, move that through a flood fill to random grayscale node, and then move that through a histogram scan. The flood fill to random grayscale node lets you select different seeds, and then you could somehow use a different seed for each attribute a random brick might have (so pores, cracks, etc.) I wanna know how I can do this without having to manually duplicate all these flood fill to grayscale nodes and stuff, which are the same except for the seeds, I just want one node where I can put every different attribute through and have it assign a different random seed for each one. Anyway here's what it looks like:

Since you're making bricks, one thing I've noticed is a bunch of tutorials do brick materials where the mortar color is sort of "painted" on the mortar, so it's not very precise, that always frustrated me when I first started to learn Designer (I'm still inexperienced). The best thing you can do is I think, separate the mortar and the brick until the very end after they've already been colored, and then combine them, so not a single pixel overlaps. I don't know if I'm explaining myself clearly, but it looks like this:

You just make sure that you have a binary brick mask, so not a blurry one (I don't know if that's the proper way to say it or whatever):

As you can see, you block out the brick pattern in the place where the mortar has to go, and then you block out the mortar in the place where the bricks have to go, so you don't have overlapping mortar and brick and it won't look like someone spray painted the mortar color on top of the brick.

I hope this gives you some insight/inspiration or whatever.

Thanks for taking the time to write me back, this is a very helpful insight, I'm new to substance, I always like to learn new methods and to me, this is the right path for achieving the goals that I need to reach. Thanks again and I hope in a few weeks I can post back the first results of my journey.

A flood fill ‘random colour’ node is effectively 3 ‘random greyscale’ nodes stacked together.  It doesn’t quite get you the five masks you’re after, but it can save a bit of annoying duplication - just separate out the channels once it’s generated.